Raised white spots on Pleco

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Last week I added a pair of L27 Teles Pires to my tank. Right off the bat, my larger Blue Eye began chasing them around and clearly stressed them out. He stopped a couple of days later but around that same time, the pair developed raised white spots. My first instinct was ich, but I think the spots are too big.

Here is a picture of one of the fish when I first noticed the spots
IMG_9902.jpeg

These spots appeared on both multiplied and grew over a day or two. On Sunday, I did a large water change and am slowing bringing temp up to 86*. I have also added salt.

One of the fish is looking slightly better, the fish pictured here is a bit worse. Both do appear to be eating at least.

I'm hopeful someone can accurately identify what I'm dealing with and how best to treat. I have on hand a bulk supply of Furan 2 and have Metroplex and Kanaplex on order (not that I know with any certainty any of these would be effective but will be able to dose rapidly if so).

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks to be ich. Would keep the heat and salt. No meds needed just yet. Can’t to gravel vacuum and make u have a powerhead. Should clear up after about 10-14 days.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I vacuum with every water change and do have powerheads.

Just did a watcher change and topped off salt. Would be great if I didn't need to medicate.
Will see how they're looking tomorrow.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Keep that salt at 3tsp per g as the salt will help.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I did 1tbsp per 5g. Just did a 50% water change in a 150g and added a cup of aquarium salt. Seems I'm only at 1/3 the correct dosage.
Should I add more now or up the dosage on the next waterchange?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would just add the difference now.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
So just to make sure my math is correct; my initial dosage was about 30 tablespoons of salt for 150 gallons of water.
I took out and replaced half today.

You're saying I should treat 1 tablespoon per gallon, not per 5 gallons, correct?

I should then be adding another 7.5 cups of salt?
Space this out over a period of time or just pull out a bucket of tank water, mix salt and slowly pour back in?

No issues with plecos at this concentration?

Thanks for the help.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So treatment for ich with salt is total of 3 tsp per g. It’s usually divided out with a set amount of hours apart so as to not shock the fish. Then replace the amount of salt taken out with every water change.

So still got a 120tbsp or 7.5cups left to add. Would cut amount in half and add today and then again in 8hrs.

The pleco should be ok. Once again this is short term. Long term it can cause problems.

Then for the next water change take out 1/2 and add 75g of salt at 3 tsp per g.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Got it and thank you.

I'll add 3.75 cups now and the remainder when I wake up in the AM.

Next water change will probably be Thursday and hopefully I'll know if meds are required by then or not.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I agree with the OP's statement in the initial post in that the spots seem a bit large for ich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store