Raising super red texas

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Hey all. I just paid for 6 baby super red texas from a breeder in Thailand, they'll be here in about a week. I am a very long-time CA cichlid keeper, about 28 years now and Midas are still my #1...but I've wanted an SRT for ages, and decided to splurge. These guys are only 1.5" but already fading, so should be some nice looking fish as they mature. My transhipper just suggested to me that I should look into whether there are any special requirements for SRT to actually be/keep their red - she thought they needed a pH around 7.5 or so/coral in the water (my water is naturally on the softer side, around 6.5). And maybe special foods. Anyone raised these guys who can give me some feedback on if I should do anything special with them? Pic included of 4 out of the 6, pretty stoked about them!

SRT.jpg

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I am in Thailand and I have seen many nice red texas (only got green myself). They seem pretty hardy and would not need any particular conditions.

Reactions: Sinister-Kisses

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
I've been burned by that seller twice. Good luck to you, hope the fish aren't total crap and are as pictured.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
You know what breeder just from that picture? Lol. He had good reviews on Aquabid so I went ahead.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
You know what breeder just from that picture? Lol. He had good reviews on Aquabid so I went ahead.
There are so many breeders.

Buying and shipping fish half way across the world (don't actually know where you are), is no doubt fraught with difficulty. You are doing something I never have.

I would like to see pictures of your fish when you receive them and after a few months too.

Reactions: Chiapet29

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
There are so many breeders.

Buying and shipping fish half way across the world (don't actually know where you are), is no doubt fraught with difficulty. You are doing something I never have.

I would like to see pictures of your fish when you receive them and after a few months too.
Oh it's an everyday thing for me. Okay, not every day, but a very regular occurrence. I have been breeding koi bettas for the last few years and always imported my bettas from Indonesia...I'm talking hundreds of bettas over the last 3 years. This is the first time I'm importing cichlids, but the process is the same. I've found with betta breeders that 99% are good people, and I have a pretty good sense for people trying to scam me by now...what questions to ask, etc. Hopefully that pans out with flowerhorn breeders too! I will absolutely post pics once they arrive.

Reactions: Jexnell and dr exum

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Pretty much the only guy selling RT on aquabid. P.O.S. lier, sold me a "FEMALE LAID EGGS!" yet it wasn't even sexually mature when I recieved it. Around 3" of growth later it was quite obviously a Male and even paired off with a female shortbody I had. Didn't even look like a red Texas when mature, more of a vieja x fh cross. He usually uses red light or alters sale photos in other ways
Hope your experience is better but I've been duped by him twice and a friend has also.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
We'll see. These are unsexable babies so I have no expectations there.

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Yeah this guy thinks he knows the sex of fishes at 2 inches but it's a hit or miss on their guesses. I bought from him before also with different gender and they all seem to be males so far. Besides that he's reasonable and have good quality stuff.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Well that's good to know. I didn't even ask about sex - at 1.5" I know damn well he'd be full of it if he tried telling me they were one or the other lol. I don't care anyway...just after some nice fish. The fact that they are all fading already was enough for me...no worrying about whether they will or they won't. Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: maxstillen
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store