Rams horn snail trap

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Pufferfish?
One thing a lot of people do is just out a cucumber slice on the bottom, and once a lot of them are on it, take it out. Repeat.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
A small plastic bottle, filled with tankwater and a chunk of cucumber inside along with some plant weights. Attach a piece of string and cork top for added convenience. Drop in a leave overnight. Pull out, empty and repeat.

Or a puffer haha

Reactions: dr exum

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Never use a pufferfish in a tank with other fish just to get rid of snails, you’ll risk loosing your stock. I recommend the tried and true method of throwing in a leaf of lettuce just before bed and then in the morning they’ll be all over it. Repeat until all gone.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have had these snails in tanks since 1959. I like them but do not like tanks being overrun. I went thru episodes of too many snails several times the first couple of decades. I have tried different things and eventually discovered the snail population was related to my overfeeding. At least that is the pattern so far, but I have only been doing this for a bit over 60 years so may have missed some scenario where overfeeding is not the case.

I went to fasting days a couple of decades or so ago. By that I skip feeding one, two or three days a week. Usually at least two anyway. Has more benefits than snail reduction and snail reduction was not my main goal. The practice helps a setup in other ways. I find the practice to be beneficial anyway.
There are some situations where fasting days are not used such as a fry tank or conditioning breeders.

good luck

Reactions: dr exum

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Cucumber on a string with a plant weight stabbed through the bottom. Simplest and most convenient.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store