random silver aro aggression

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
So my buddy is holding my silver aro and tank mates in his 210g tank until I get my 240g tank set back up. Until the initial break down of my 240g it never showed any kind of aggresion to the tank mates. Recently it killed a 7.5" Red terror. Any ideas on why the aro would suddenly get aggressive like that?

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
Sorry for previous post.

What are all the other fishes u had in the tank? Any pic of ur tank with fish?
The other fish in the tank are a school of medium sized red hook silver dollars. A large albino pleco, a cactus pleco, a sultan pleco, the red terror and my buddies midas. I do not have any pics of the tank with all of them. I know its a 210 6' tank. Ill see if my buddy can post a pic.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If the aggression had a purpose or an objective, then by definition it was not random. Rare maybe. New perhaps.

Being aggressive for no particular reason or objective is what I'd call a human trait.

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
There was no aggression in the tank at all. My buddy came home and the aro had my red terror in its mouth. He saved the red terror and then watched as the aro attacked it twice.

RajaVino

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
India
After u shifted ur fishes to the big tank. Arowana may get better space for hunting them than the smaller tank. Moreover one article about arowana said that some arowanas are attacking the fishes which are all comfortably catch in his mouth. Do u give live food? If so he may think that red terror is also his prey. Its better to remove the fishes except bottom dwellers.

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
After u shifted ur fishes to the big tank. Arowana may get better space for hunting them than the smaller tank. Moreover one article about arowana said that some arowanas are attacking the fishes which are all comfortably catch in his mouth. Do u give live food? If so he may think that red terror is also his prey. Its better to remove the fishes except bottom dwellers.
No my aro eats pellets, frozen shrimp, krill etc but no live food. In my 240g tank she was never aggressive and has had much smaller tank mates that she never harassed anyone. When she was moved to my buddies 210g tank he said she showed no aggression and gets fed plenty. The red terror was 7.5" Even at her size that would be a pretty large meal. for her. It just sucks took so long to get her that size.

RajaVino

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
India
No my aro eats pellets, frozen shrimp, krill etc but no live food. In my 240g tank she was never aggressive and has had much smaller tank mates that she never harassed anyone. When she was moved to my buddies 210g tank he said she showed no aggression and gets fed plenty. The red terror was 7.5" Even at her size that would be a pretty large meal. for her. It just sucks took so long to get her that size.
He may get stressed by reducing the size of the tank bro.

thiswasgone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
The silver is aggressive towards your other fish because all of them were moved to a new tank so he is fighting for his territory. The previously established hierarchy and territories disappeared so there will be a lot of violence until it is reestablished.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store