Rattlesnakes

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
Well while fishing with a buddy this weekend I officially was chased by a rattlesnake. My buddy and I had pulled into a cove and I saw some movement at the waters edge. As we got closer I could see a fairly good sized rattlesnake stalking a huge bullfrog. I decided to watch thinking hey this could be a national geographic moment. After about 3 or 4 minutes I turned around to look if any boats were coming by and there was a freaking rattlesnake swimming towards us from the other shore. I learned at this moment that my best friend is terrified of snakes. I quickly turned on the trolling motor to high speed and said ya over this and went way down the bank. The rattlesnake kept following us for close to 50 yards. Decided eh fishing isn't that good here anyways and moved to a different cove. I'll try to post the pictures but that was a first for me.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well while fishing with a buddy this weekend I officially was chased by a rattlesnake. My buddy and I had pulled into a cove and I saw some movement at the waters edge. As we got closer I could see a fairly good sized rattlesnake stalking a huge bullfrog. I decided to watch thinking hey this could be a national geographic moment. After about 3 or 4 minutes I turned around to look if any boats were coming by and there was a freaking rattlesnake swimming towards us from the other shore. I learned at this moment that my best friend is terrified of snakes. I quickly turned on the trolling motor to high speed and said ya over this and went way down the bank. The rattlesnake kept following us for close to 50 yards. Decided eh fishing isn't that good here anyways and moved to a different cove. I'll try to post the pictures but that was a first for me.

Yes saw a documentary where they were wondering how Diamond Backs were found on another area between water, and showed one swimming miles to get to land. Don't blame you I would look somewhere else to fish as well lol. Apparently signs of adaption not enough rodents for them to eat or just opportunistic.

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
Yes saw a documentary where they were wondering how Diamond Backs were found on another area between water, and showed one swimming miles to get to land. Don't blame you I would look somewhere else to fish as well lol. Apparently signs of adaption not enough rodents for them to eat or just opportunistic.
I'm guessing it's all the massive amounts of water we received. The lake that I found the rattlesnakes in went from 23 percent to 98 percent at one point and sits at 86 percent right now. I think all of the snakes burrows were flooded when the water rose. I probably saw 7 snakes swimming three Rattlers and the others just common garden snakes or king snakes. Makes me think it might be time to start throwing some snake like baits lol.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm guessing it's all the massive amounts of water we received. The lake that I found the rattlesnakes in went from 23 percent to 98 percent at one point and sits at 86 percent right now. I think all of the snakes burrows were flooded when the water rose. I probably saw 7 snakes swimming three Rattlers and the others just common garden snakes or king snakes. Makes me think it might be time to start throwing some snake like baits lol.

That makes sense.

Reactions: Oddballs

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I got stared at by a cape cobra once, nasty stuffs. apparently the cottonmouth is usually the one in water?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I got stared at by a cape cobra once, nasty stuffs. apparently the cottonmouth is usually the one in water?
The cotton mouth lives near water but yes they eat fish and frogs they catch in the water. Btw a stare from any Cobra specie would have me terrified.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The cotton mouth lives near water but yes they eat fish and frogs they catch in the water. Btw a stare from any Cobra specie would have me terrified.
ah alright.

I legged it, the thing was against a fence maybe 10 metres away

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
Any poisons snake I give a wide berth and much respect. Had to many encounters and one to many hospital trips. Cobra would have me running in the opposite direction quick.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I found a small eggeater once, toyed it a bit with the end of my airgun. It looked like a baby puff adder so I didn't touch it before letting it go. Very aggressive little thing, attacking my air rifle when I merely poked it :p

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I found a small eggeater once, toyed it a bit with the end of my airgun. It looked like a baby puff adder so I didn't touch it before letting it go. Very aggressive little thing, attacking my air rifle when I merely poked it :p
Hahaha.. have to laugh... the eggeaters are actually harmless.....
However, they put on a hell of an agressive act and if you dont know better you will mistake them for a rattle snake as they rub their scales together and make the same sound
Growing up my son had one and true behold it used to manage to get out and i found it in my bathroom every night....
Last week, I was standing at the kitchen zinc cleaning earthworms for the stingrays and looked down and thought umm.. thats a big worm i have just dropped... something said.. too big for a earthworm look again... it was a tiny baby red lipped harlequin...
We have quite a few around where we live.
Mostly harmless like the brown house, eggeater, red lip harleqin, mole snake etc but we also have rinkals (like cobra) and puff adder although puff adder not in abundance
rinkals and puff adder i run/scream for dear life but the others, usually pick them up and throw them up in the mountain behind me so the dogs dont kill them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store