Rays Active?

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
I had a motoro ray for a very short time who ended up dying. I am going to attempt another possibly. I wanted to see if they are semi active or they mostly do not move at all. Mine never moved, I would say he was moving less than 1% of his existence, but in pictures and videos it seems that a lot of peoples are moving around quite frequently. Obviously I know they don't just swim constantly like an arowana but do people find their rays to be at least semi active. Thanks everyone..

DRaGoNoVA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2005
Singapore
they are nocturnal creatures. read up more on them before buying as they are more sensitive to chemicals than other fishes

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
very active... they never stop moving when healthy and well acclimated to the tank.

Keeping rays is easy .. consistent clean water is a must. Get barrons book is highly recommended too.

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
unknownuza13 said:
I had a motoro ray for a very short time who ended up dying. I am going to attempt another possibly. I wanted to see if they are semi active or they mostly do not move at all. Mine never moved, I would say he was moving less than 1% of his existence, but in pictures and videos it seems that a lot of peoples are moving around quite frequently. Obviously I know they don't just swim constantly like an arowana but do people find their rays to be at least semi active. Thanks everyone..
rays need good water to survive, your filter must be mature and you have to be hardworking to do water change. i do water change about 60% water change twice a week, as i got 4 rays in my tank.

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/zhuangsw/

they are highly sensitive to nitrite, and once u see them not moving much and their skin starts to have strange marks/peelings. quickly do water change.

oh ya, btw they have high metobolism rate, so u gotta make sure they get food everyday..

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
It wasn't motoro, it was some S.A. labeled one and I don't know what kind.
It was just all Tan, no spots or anything.
They sold for half of the price of the motoros of same size.
Does anyone know what kind of Ray we actually had?...

and I think it's well known they need perfect water conditions and daily 50% water changes, yada yada yada.
We researched ahead before attemping a ray.

I just want a Leo already.:)

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
iheartfishies said:
Does anyone know what kind of Ray we actually had?...

Motoro sp Peru, would be my guess. I import many rays out of Peru, alot of them are mis-labeled.. You might of heard names like yepezi, pina, nazca, etc thrown around. I believe they are all sub-divisions of the Motoro family. Each one will have a different pattern depending on Age and the Region it was originally collected out of. I get rays labbeled 'Motoro common' which are the same price as Motoros. They come in with random patterns, usually they are beige with brown spots.. or brown, with beige spots. As they grow, the spots will link togethor, and create other patterns. I would really love to have a scientific backing on this, and our company is taking steps to do so. We have invited multiple ichtheologists (sp) to come to our facility, and look at these rays. We are hoping that David Webber will also come to our facility when he makes a trip to Peru, to film a stingray documentary. Hopefully a team of ray professions can shed some light on the situation.

Also, it could of been P. Hystrix. They are EXTREMELY cheap, and are usually beige. Now that I think about it, that's probably what it was, if it was that cheap. Remember if you are buying a ray under 8", it is a BABY. They are super-sensative, and will die for unknown reasons..

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Miles said:
Motoro sp Peru, would be my guess. I import many rays out of Peru, alot of them are mis-labeled.. You might of heard names like yepezi, pina, nazca, etc thrown around. I believe they are all sub-divisions of the Motoro family. Each one will have a different pattern depending on Age and the Region it was originally collected out of. I get rays labbeled 'Motoro common' which are the same price as Motoros. They come in with random patterns, usually they are beige with brown spots.. or brown, with beige spots. As they grow, the spots will link togethor, and create other patterns. I would really love to have a scientific backing on this, and our company is taking steps to do so. We have invited multiple ichtheologists (sp) to come to our facility, and look at these rays. We are hoping that David Webber will also come to our facility when he makes a trip to Peru, to film a stingray documentary. Hopefully a team of ray professions can shed some light on the situation.

Also, it could of been P. Hystrix. They are EXTREMELY cheap, and are usually beige. Now that I think about it, that's probably what it was, if it was that cheap. Remember if you are buying a ray under 8", it is a BABY. They are super-sensative, and will die for unknown reasons..
thats soo cool. u got really great contacts man. and i really wish you could do shipping to sg. could you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store