Rays and discus

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
Curious on some of your experiences with keeping the two together.. I’ve seen posts of people having success and some of the rays haveing some pricey snacks.

Reactions: Caveden

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Always considered this one myself and any enquiries Ive made have led to at your own risk with a lot of rays just liking to kill the discus for what seems to be fun

Reactions: Austin1234

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Rays love fish brains… healthy snack for them lol… Tank mates in general work well with juvie rays… Anything is fair game for adult rays tho. Ive had 20-24” rays pin down and “brain” 18” fish. Pregnant females especially enjoy chewing on fresh fish… it can work sure… you just can’t be surprised or disappointed when they do decide to knock off one of your “dithers” for them. Risk and reward as always with most any non solo specie tank…

FigginFishTank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2022
Alabama
I also like the idea of discus and rays together. I’m giving the combo my best effort in my current 500 gal tank as well as with an arowana. The reoccurring advice I received and read in my research for this exact combination was: start with 4-6” discus and juvenile ray and juvenile silver or black arowana. Feed 3 times a day, heavy filtration, continuous drip or double water change frequency, large tank, taller helps to add some room for discus to steer clear of the ray. In the end it’s a risk, and I’m expecting to lose a discus or two eventually. If it becomes a real issue the discus will have to be removed. For my own anecdotal experience most fish are less likely to eat other fish if well fed and never fed whole fish as food, but not a guarantee. If it fits in their mouth it’s food.

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
I ended up doing it also in my 430 gallon, a couple weeks after I made this post and it’s been good so far I have 2 marbles male and female, a albino silver arowana and a dozen or so discus. They seem to all get along fine.(so far) if it ends up not working I’ll just pull the discus and get some other tank mate for the rays and Aro.

Reactions: FigginFishTank
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store