Rays. Local driftwood. Back panel color.....

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
hey all

Lets talk about local drift wood and tank colors.

I found some awesome local driftwood. i would like to add it to my tank.......but i am afraid of introducing sickness/bacteria/chemicals etc etc. it is a nice big rounded piece (4-5 feet long) with no sharp pointy parts. (From ny state). I was thinking of susspending it like another member here has done.

Is it possible to use it? How do i prepare it? Salt bath? Bleach? Oven? (my buddy owns a pizza shop....lol )? Sun? Or just dont risk it? What are your experiences?

I have MM and a regular matorro. I painted the bottom glass white. I believe white is the color to go with....correct? What color do you use for your background? Black? Blue? White? I am looking for the best color from the rays.

Thx

Eddie

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
instead of paint i used vinyl wrap, did aqua blue with a little metallic. Its easy to apply and remove if you ever want to change the color

As for drift wood i soaked my big pieces in a bath tub for about a week. I have a drip system going on a 1500 gal. system tannins cleared up after about a week being in the tank

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
murray8698 murray8698 thx. Where do you get your vynil?

Did you do anything other than Soak the wood? Was it local to you? I found mine in the local stream.

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
murray8698 murray8698 thx. Where do you get your vynil?

Did you do anything other than Soak the wood? Was it local to you? I found mine in the local stream.
Luckily my company has a custom graphics shop, we have big rolls of many colors. I would be able to ship u custom pieces if your in the states if intersted. Amazon sells rolls and if you have a sign or graphics shop local you can try calling them.

The driftwood came from a local river, the guy that collected said he did bake them to dry them out. Other than that i just soaked them to remove tannins

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I collect mine from a local River. Power wash it and let it dry out in sun. I try to select pieces sitting up out of the water on banks and dried out as they are likely to not carry pathogens if dried and cured vs soaking in the water and water logged.

Reactions: eddiegunks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store