rays

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
youre right.. acidic water, 0 ammonia with low to 0 nitrates. Frequent water changes are a must since rays have huge appetites and crap a lot too.

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
some say daily 30percent water changes with pre aged/pre proper phd water

soft acidic water, i use peat moss in nylon stocking in a sump..... keeps my ph bout 6.3-6.5 and SOFT as my tap i 7.9 and rock hard

tyson

Stingray Master
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Tropical Island
arowanaclub.com
pufferking said:
i need info one how to keep rays alive. we get them in at work and #1 my boss doesnt listen to me and #2 i dont think we have good enough water in the tank we put them in. i know they need soft acidic water and it has to basicly be as pure as possible. what elso do i need to know.
From what i understand, the water out from your tap has a rather high PH (8.0 & above). is that correct??

Also, what filter system are you guys using???

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
i never checked my water
maybe once or twice

guesswho2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
Medowlakes,Alaska
nick said:
some say daily 30percent water changes with pre aged/pre proper phd water

soft acidic water, i use peat moss in nylon stocking in a sump..... keeps my ph bout 6.3-6.5 and SOFT as my tap i 7.9 and rock hard

I'm in the same boat my well water runs 7.9 and realitive hard (iron) from a natural peat bed the runs on my property. How do you handle water changes and maintain a stable 6.5. How long did it take to get your water down to 6.5 when you started with 7.9 with the peat? I'm may need to do the same, however, I ran my water stats with Wes and he thought it was high but exceptable.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
DavidW said:
a simple $8 book , 'freshwater stingrays' by Richard Ross, published by Barrons, will help you a lot I think

Agree. thats a very informative book. Its less than 20 bucks shipped .

As far as ph goes.. rays can be tolerant of a wide range of ph. since their habitat
swings in ph too. What you have to have is 0 ammonia and low nitrates and make the ph as stable as possible. Better to have a ph on the high side than one that swings.

I do water changes of 60% every 3 days and frequently clean my filters to keep rays thriving. I also monitor water quality as there are incidents that can make the water go bad real fast.

Its a lot of work but if you have a system of how to do reg maintenance... its not bad as it sounds :)

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
i got one ill let go for 10 shipped
the cover is off the book tho
but you can read every page

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store