RBP may have Diplostomosis parasite- Advice?

Zilla556

Feeder Fish
Jan 11, 2018
Today i noticed one of my RBP's was acting odd. First i spotted him hovering under a piece of driftwood barely moving. The others tried to nudge him a few times and there was barely a reaction.

Wasn't normal so I took a closer look. It appears a parasite/white spot is in one eye and there is some white mucus/slime in the mouth too. Also the body is dark as a Black piranha.

I've since done a 80-90% water change, added aquarium salt, raised the temp to 82 and added Aqua +... Color is a little better but not much. Seems to be moving around a bit more and isn't hovering at the surface which makes me feel better about the odds of survival. Wish i had another tank to quarantine but have to wing it and hope for the best.

Parameters:
NO3: 80-100ppm (Normally lower, may have spiked due to cleaning the tank/filters off)
NO2: 1ppm
PH: 7.4
KH: 40ppm
GH: 80ppm
Temperature: 82 Degrees Fahrenheit

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would suggest get that nitrate down asap. Water change may fix the issue as it could be the cause. But to be sure it’s not a fluke would treat with prazipro. Post some pics and retest that water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store