RBP Mouth injury

MGLC2081b

Feeder Fish
May 15, 2018
Hi Everyone. Been a lurker on here for a while now, reading and getting tips and advice to apply to my aquarium.

One of my RBP's has developed a problem with the lower lip/jaw area. The bottom lip is extended out much further than the top. There is some redness on the lower jaw/chin area. It appears to be missing the teeth. Everything inside the mouth and upper lip seems to be normal except for the lower lip. It hasn't been eating. It tries to eat but backs off the food as soon as it bites down. I generally feed my RBP tilapia fillets and shrimp (no live food).

My first inclination is this is a physical injury as these guys tend to get from time to time when they spar with each other or crash into stuff around the tank when the skit out (at least mine do).

I've enclosed the best photo I could get.

Any advice on what this might be and whether I need to treat or just let it heal on it's own?

Thanks

Injury - 1.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably an injury clean water and maybe some separation from the other rbp’s till it resolves. Would let it heal on its own. Hopefully similar to a contusion.

Reactions: tlindsey

MGLC2081b

Feeder Fish
May 15, 2018
Thanks! That's what I was thinking too. I do 50% twice a week. The tank is medium planted to try to keep the nitrates down. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 40ppm Nitrate. 180 TDS. pH 7.4. I stay on top of my water parameters religiously.

Filter is an FX4. The entire lower tray is Matrix, the lower half of the upper tray is BioMax, the upper is a medium sponge, floss and Purigen. Has the stock course sponge in the trays. A large fine sponge filter in the tank for biological supplemental filtration and some polishing. 3" air stone for oxygenation and a 900gph circulation pump to flow the junk into the filter intake. I service the filter once a week.

The tank has 4 RBP and some CA Cichlids as tank makes. I did notice the injured RBP eat a cichlid pellet today. Which is unusual. They don't usually touch the Cichlid food at all. It must be hungry and unable to eat it's usual diet. Just it showing it wants to eat is further evidence it's an injury and not disease.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Injury, keep water clean and make sure he can eat.
Prob crashed when he darted around/away from something, piranhas can survive injuries fairly well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store