Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

RBP Mouth injury

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by MGLC2081b, Aug 2, 2018.

1. MGLC2081b

MGLC2081b Registered Member

Peter Webb
      Aug 3, 2018
      Hi Everyone. Been a lurker on here for a while now, reading and getting tips and advice to apply to my aquarium.

One of my RBP's has developed a problem with the lower lip/jaw area. The bottom lip is extended out much further than the top. There is some redness on the lower jaw/chin area. It appears to be missing the teeth. Everything inside the mouth and upper lip seems to be normal except for the lower lip. It hasn't been eating. It tries to eat but backs off the food as soon as it bites down. I generally feed my RBP tilapia fillets and shrimp (no live food).

My first inclination is this is a physical injury as these guys tend to get from time to time when they spar with each other or crash into stuff around the tank when the skit out (at least mine do).

I've enclosed the best photo I could get.

Any advice on what this might be and whether I need to treat or just let it heal on it's own?

Thanks

Injury - 1.jpg

2. kno4te

kno4te MFK Members

Ron
      Today at 9:33 AM
      Probably an injury clean water and maybe some separation from the other rbp’s till it resolves. Would let it heal on its own. Hopefully similar to a contusion.

tlindsey likes this.
    3. MGLC2081b

MGLC2081b Registered Member

Peter Webb
      Aug 3, 2018
      Thanks! That's what I was thinking too. I do 50% twice a week. The tank is medium planted to try to keep the nitrates down. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 40ppm Nitrate. 180 TDS. pH 7.4. I stay on top of my water parameters religiously.

Filter is an FX4. The entire lower tray is Matrix, the lower half of the upper tray is BioMax, the upper is a medium sponge, floss and Purigen. Has the stock course sponge in the trays. A large fine sponge filter in the tank for biological supplemental filtration and some polishing. 3" air stone for oxygenation and a 900gph circulation pump to flow the junk into the filter intake. I service the filter once a week.

The tank has 4 RBP and some CA Cichlids as tank makes. I did notice the injured RBP eat a cichlid pellet today. Which is unusual. They don't usually touch the Cichlid food at all. It must be hungry and unable to eat it's usual diet. Just it showing it wants to eat is further evidence it's an injury and not disease.

Deadliestviper7 likes this.
    4. Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7 The Necromancer

Jason m
      43 minutes ago
      Injury, keep water clean and make sure he can eat.
      Prob crashed when he darted around/away from something, piranhas can survive injuries fairly well