Realistic size for Barbonymus altus

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Hey,
Are laticlavius that aggressive that a predator tank of that size won't be large enough?
Yea I've had one of my lapradei in a tank with oscars and it did not get any food at all so I don't think tinfoils would be a good tank mate in this case.
I thought about Hoplerythrinus as well but as far as I know their behaviour is not too different from bichirs or a gar.
It isn't their aggressive behaviour that was a problem for me, though some RTGG can turn out to be killers. Mine was in a peaceful 180g comm tank as he was growing up and as he started getting bigger and bigger I eventually took out all his tank mates just to give him room. When he hit the 12" mark he started having the odd "wobble". He'd thrash violently at the surface, sometimes injuring himself on the bracing. This behaviour got worse and by the time he was 15" I figured it was his way of telling me he needed more room.

Anyway fast forward 6 months and he is now in a 360g comm tank and never ever thrashes at the surface anymore. The footprint of your tank is similar to his old 180g. That's why i'd advise you not to get one, they just get too big, and who knows, you could get one that is violent to other tankmates too, that would be a right bummer.

Reactions: mattybecks and Xeno

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
Thanks!
Reading about the experiences someone actually made when keeping a certain fish is so much more valuable than some theoretical infos on a care sheet.

So I will definitely NOT go for a RTGG.
I don't want to risk the health of any of my fish.

It's pretty hard to actually piece together a stocking that will work out without big issues.

I do have four Parachanna obscura and some datnoids but I doubt they will get large enough (in time) to go into that tank.

When we are looking at a 6ft by 27.5in tank with three Polypterus bichir and a spotted gar (with all being captive bred so they won't get that big except for one wild caught Nigerian lapradei) and we expect them all to max out around 20 inches it sure would already look fantastic but what I am missing is a preferably predatory species which is free swimming in the middle area of the tank.
It does not have to be a group of fish.
Heck I'd be fine with only one specimen that rounds up the stocking .
That's the isssue with Cichla.
Even if kelberi does not grow past 14in in an aquarium I still would have to go for a group of them.

I could add more bichirs as well since I currently do have 25 specimen...

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hey,
Thanks!
Reading about the experiences someone actually made when keeping a certain fish is so much more valuable than some theoretical infos on a care sheet.

So I will definitely NOT go for a RTGG.
I don't want to risk the health of any of my fish.

It's pretty hard to actually piece together a stocking that will work out without big issues.

I do have four Parachanna obscura and some datnoids but I doubt they will get large enough (in time) to go into that tank.

When we are looking at a 6ft by 27.5in tank with three Polypterus bichir and a spotted gar (with all being captive bred so they won't get that big except for one wild caught Nigerian lapradei) and we expect them all to max out around 20 inches it sure would already look fantastic but what I am missing is a preferably predatory species which is free swimming in the middle area of the tank.
It does not have to be a group of fish.
Heck I'd be fine with only one specimen that rounds up the stocking .
That's the isssue with Cichla.
Even if kelberi does not grow past 14in in an aquarium I still would have to go for a group of them.

I could add more bichirs as well since I currently do have 25 specimen...
I just want to say its really great to see how much research and planning you put into choosing your fish before you actually get them. Good on you sir!

Reactions: esoxlucius
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store