Recently Acquired Driftwood

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
So a friend of mine gave me his 100 gallon tank and what he had left for extras... however the driftwood has been outside for a couple months. Now I cannot complain about such a gift however he had suggested to soak the driftwood in bleach for a little bit then scrub it then have it sit in water. Now I know about soaking in water for tannins but does this sound correct?

Thanks
Glenn

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So a friend of mine gave me his 100 gallon tank and what he had left for extras... however the driftwood has been outside for a couple months. Now I cannot complain about such a gift however he had suggested to soak the driftwood in bleach for a little bit then scrub it then have it sit in water. Now I know about soaking in water for tannins but does this sound correct?

Thanks
Glenn
I’d just let it soak in a plastic bin of water. Change out the water till clear. If it’s air dried then not much there for contamination.

Reactions: BIG-G

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
That's what I thought as well... thank you

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
how long should I have the driftwood sitting in a large tote?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
how long should I have the driftwood sitting in a large tote?
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you just want it to sink then as soon as it’s water logged and stays down.

If it’s for tannins then change the water until it’s as clear as you like.

Myself I just soak until the piece will stay down. I don’t mind the tannins. I think it gives a more natural appearance.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
Well about a month ago it was in the tank that he is giving me but he shut the tank down so now its just been sitting outside. So I would probably just soak it and give them a good scrub I suppose.

Reactions: BIG-G

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
So, it sounds like it was in the tank previously? So, tannins shouldn't be an issue. It's been outside for ages, disease shouldn't be an issue.

Put it in the tank. Put a rock on it to hold it down. Done. Check it in a month.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I agree with the above post about it being fine.

If your worried about any critters that may have moved into the wood while being left outside you could soak the wood in boiling hot water that should take care of those

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Did he suggest soaking it in bleach because the tank had a previous disease outbreak (Ick, velvet, or some other?) if so, it might be a good idea to bleach it, no matter how long its been sitting. Was a disease outbreak the reason he got discouraged, and gave the stuff away?
If the log had been previously submerged for a long time, tannins may not be relevant, and is no longer buoyant, they tannins are usually only a problem if the wood is new.
And for certain fish, tannins are healthy,..... black water species such as Amazonian cichlids and tetras, or soft water Asians like wild Betta's, are some of those that might benefit from tannins, they can be anti-bacterial in nature..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store