Recovered Gamers

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Anybody besides me?

I used to be very involved with PCs and PC games. I’d been involved in programming since I was 14, and had written code for 5 or 6 companies when I bought my first real PC video game at age 40.

It was Darkseed, a spooky game about alien invasion, based on the famous “Alien” movie creature art by Gieger. It came on a 3.5” diskette. The game was not only difficult but there was a small bug in the program that allowed you to get stuck.

It wouldn’t be the only game I bought using or based on Gieger’s art, or the only one that needed fussing with in the days of DOS. It was a big kick in the motivation department, to have to dope out this “new” system architecture, for a guy grown a little bored with writing manufacturing code for industry.

A lot of games would turn out to have bugs and patches and defective CD media that had to be dealt with. Having to do so, and doing the research and coding to make things run, was a big deal in my development as a PC guy. I learned to build and fix the physical machines and the virtual machines, both. It eventually brought me to the client/server/object/container modeling of more modern programming philosophies.

I was coding for mostly much older industrial tech, that all went way back to paper tape and IBM punch cards. It was all eventually adapted down from the giant IBM & Burroughs main frames to work on smaller systems like IBM System 32, and then “tiny” Apple & IBM style DOS PCs.

From 1994 to 2014 I spent much of my free time playing games & building hot PCs. I collected over 200 legit boxed PC games & dozens of minor games. I don’t know how many machines I have built and fixed. Dozens of them over the last 30 years.

I never did any super heavy game coding, but I built many levels and scripts. I built many PCs at work and home, and learned to load system code and drivers in the order that allowed all possible scraps of the memory to be used.

But Life Happened More for me, as I got old, & I haven’t played with any involved games, for almost 10 years.

The boxed games are all in the attic now. I have reached the stage where life was too short for more games. I haven’t played with any computer games at all really, since I hit about 60 years old. It’s sort of strange to look back now & remember how I was.

But I recovered from a decades-long obsession somehow. I don’t recall any specific efforts though. Life just got in the way and never got out, I guess.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Used to be pretty competitive with online FPS games. Started in the early years of online gaming with games like delta force and counter strike. I followed the battlefield series for many years, many thousands of hours of my life wasted there. I recently watched the trailer for the newest one, BF6, and was simultaneously unimpressed whilst feeling old. Seems they're putting a lot of focus on silly, gimmicky features like jumping out of fighter jets in midair to perform acrobatics and extreme weather like tornadoes, as if those occur all that frequently. I'll probably still play it.

I also spent many long nights playing elder scrolls.

At any rate it seems I have lost interest, am too busy, or just too tired for games these days. My old gamer friends seem to have all dropped off too so that doesnt help.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
That's me definitely.

It all started with Diablo 2. Then Blizzard came out with World of Warcraft. That was it over the next 12 years I literally spent five years of my life in the game playing. You can, while in game, type /played and it will tell you down to the second the total time that character has been logged into the game playing. Add up all my characters and it's just over 2000 days played. Over that time I earned 347 mounts, every tier armor set in the game for my main character and main alt. Every legendary items in the game said main can equip save Atashi, and the stupid one made during Legion.

Thankfully I have finally broke that habit. I don't even have a computer anymore, sold it to get twigs and rocks for the new tank I just had to sell.

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Man I feel this so hard /playtime in Final Fantasy 11. From 2005-2009 18mos of playtime we accrued. I took the next decade off.

That's me definitely.

It all started with Diablo 2. Then Blizzard came out with World of Warcraft. That was it over the next 12 years I literally spent five years of my life in the game playing. You can, while in game, type /played and it will tell you down to the second the total time that character has been logged into the game playing. Add up all my characters and it's just over 2000 days played.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
For me it was Unreal Tournament in 2000 that brought back memories of playing Doom many years before and my fishkeeping took a bit of backseat on a weeknight for a good few years and was pushed to the weekends.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've never been a gamer, nor have I ever been interested in nintendos, playstations or X boxes in all their guises....but....

Years and years ago, mid nineties possibly, I was seeing a woman, and her son had one of the old sega mega drives. And there was a game called Kid Chameleon. I was absolutely addicted to this game. I played it for weeks and weeks, it was so difficult getting to the end, where you had to fight the obligatory 'big bad dude'.

I got to him once, it took me four hours or something daft and he totally dusted me, and I gave up crestfallen, never to play that game again, lol. That's the closest I've ever got to being a hard core gamer.

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
I'll tell you one struggle the kids of today dont have to go through:

Anyone else remember the days when the servers would drop ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME!?!?
This is the state of FFXIV currently, 400% growth this year and they ran out of digital copies...

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store