Recycling AC water??

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
The general consensus is no because it can collect contaminants from the air, or from the fins. But I don't know if anyone has actually done it and found any issues.

Seems you'll collect just as much contamination from the air running an airstone. And I keep seeing people concerned about copper contamination in the water, but everything is aluminum.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
There was a thread made by a member about this and dehumidifier water a while back. The answer was not to use the water from neither due to contamination from outside or inside the home.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This pertains more to the linked thread, but may be relevant to those with copper, or lead pipes.
A little over 10 years ago, many public water suppliers started adding a tiny amount of phosphate (as mandated by the EPA) to the distribution systems, to coat the inside of pipes , and prevent the leaching of lead and copper into homes.(most lead and copper are " Not" in the distribution system itself, but in the private homes plumbing)
The facility I worked at, did this addition of phosphate, and as a chemist at the plant I was involved in the research to see how much, and if, the addition of phosphate actually helped reduce leaching.
My house went from a lead and copper concentration of about 12ppb (parts per billion (under the MCL of 15ppb)) to less than 5 ppm after a few months into the study of phosphate addition.
I found this rather encouraging

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store