Red belly with other larger fish?

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
I was wondering could you house a piranha with other larger fishes? Maybe a piranha with a 6" diameter with a 13" payara or 13" gatf? Will it work or will the piranha just tear the other fish apart? Will placing only one piranha be okay or does it have to be a shoal?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
One solo piranha may become a snack for one larger predator. A group would kill the large other fish likely. Not worth doing.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
I tried it with a Caribe that I grew to like 6 inches ..the fish was a beauty ... the first night he bit a portion out of my army's tail. So I sold him to another guy who I told not to put it in community or with other fish . He didn't listen and put it in with a bunch of stuff. It almost killed his sting rays and everything else in the tank..a red belly though is not as bold but pirahanas over all eat other fishes fins so I don't know how it would go

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Depends a lone redbelly won't likely kill a much bigger fish,just keep in mind that if you keep a redbelly with a larger fish it should be something that won't eat your rbp, I've seen them kept with big koi and pacu before

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
piranhas don't do well with other species but you might get lucky with a school of pygos (reds, caribas, ternetzis, piyaras) and a school of exodons in a big tank. serrasalmus species are solitary but you can have a school of spilos in a tank with lots of swimming space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store