red devil, midas or flowerhorn?

windextor

Feeder Fish
Aug 13, 2017
I recently bought a used larger aquarium to put my growing fish in but unfortunately the tank came with fish also. The lady I bought it from had no idea what kind of fish she had. There are 3 silver dollars, a convict and two fish I am unsure about. I went to 3 lfs and they all gave me different answers. They will all take them in but only one will buy them from me and he offered $30 for all 6 fish. He said they are red devils which are a fish he hates to sell so he wouldn't give me any more for them. The other two lfs said it was against policy to buy fish but would love to take them off my hands for me. One said it was a midas and the other said flowerhorn. I've looked online and i have no idea which it could be because he looks like all of them to me. One is about 8 inches the other is 6 inches. I've heard red devils are very aggressive, territorial and love to eat but these fish are not at all. I haven't seen any aggression at all. They are actually pretty boring and just float around. Anyone know what they are and how much they are possibly worth?20170812_120731.jpg

windextor

Feeder Fish
Aug 13, 2017
This is the smaller one. He hides every time I come near the tank so I can't get a very good pic of him. He has the hump on his head as well.

20170812_120653.jpg

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Midevil. Look at the sticky. They are definitely not Flowerhorn, as part of the definition of a Flowerhorn is a flowerline, and they don't have any. They look more midas than red devil to me, but as you will see in the sticky, most are hybrids anyway.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Yeah Look midevil with a very strong Midas background, great looking fish.

windextor

Feeder Fish
Aug 13, 2017
OK apparently the lady has been keeping them in a tank with no heater their whole life because she said they never laid eggs but the day after I added the heater the larger fish started chasing the small one. Now last night they dug a hole in the gravel and are laying eggs.

Reactions: J. H.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Midevils. I'd say if you were to buy them in a store at that size, youd pay 50$ or so. But If I were you I would just take the 30$ and get what fish you want, it will be hard to sell them.
The Convicts, while nice fish, are worthless. And the silver dollars are usually cheap unless they are red hooks or something similar.

windextor

Feeder Fish
Aug 13, 2017
yeah I sold them already. $140 for all of them. Much better than the $30 the fish store was going to give me:D

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store