Red masheers

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
From what I’ve read and researched,true red masheers are pretty rare. Are there multiple importers of these fish?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
What's a true red mahseer? Can you post a pic?

Asian Exotics

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
South East Asia
From what I’ve read and researched,true red masheers are pretty rare
Hello there, from what I have read, there are at least four or up to six countries that has "RED" mahseers. The most commonly associated country will be Malaysia (Tor Tambroides). Even in the country, there are various specimens with varying redness to its body. I thought I purchased a supposedly best 'pedigree', which is usually determined by the river it is from and in my case, I was sold what was labelled Tembat river, but told by experts I had overpaid for a fish that isn't even from the state where the river is from. They told me the proof is in the slight bluish tint in the fins of my red which indicates it is definitely not anywhere near Tembat river but from a neighbouring state.

Then comes another type of mahseer, Tor Sinensis, that in native Laotian language is Pba Daeng which I read meant red fish. So the colour is self explanatory but it has a lateral line (IMO, better looking). But the red Tor Sinensis while from fingerling up to sub adult seems to have a disproportionately larger head, I have seen a pic of an adult red Tor Sinensis (claimed 1m long) that seems proportionate again and also IMO a real beauty. FB_IMG_1594351721037.jpg

Tor Sinensis (or Chinese mahseer) is found in Mekong river. Scientists verified that they are found in China and Laos. But with Mekong spanning so many countries, it is likely all the other countries will have them too.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Tor tambroides from Malaysia is the red mahseer.

Reactions: Asian Exotics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store