Red tail barracuda

Been_away2long

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Hey everyone a local store had some barracudas so I picked up 2 of them and they were only eating live fish. I put them in a 90gal they r currently 5inches was hoping having roseline sharks and a few other fish they would encourage them to eat what I'm feeding which is raw shrimp. It's been 2 weeks since they ate when I walk up to the tank they r definitely interested in food but once I throw the shrimp in they don't even try. Any tips to get these guys off love and onto raw shrimp??

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You may have to give the aces more time before they are hungry enough to go after what you toss in for them.Also,is the shrimp small enough for them to easily eat it? Try cutting the shrimp into smaller pieces and tossing them into the tank near the return flow...as the water moves the shrimp around it could draw the red tail's attention and prompt them to go after it.

Been_away2long

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Ok hopefully in a few days. Yea they r cut small bc I have a 3.5 inch Oscar n a 3inch datnoid campbelli in there I'm growing out as well. I was thinking maybe I could tie a piece with string drag it around the tank but worried theyl string might get caught in there teeth

Been_away2long

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
So been 3 weeks the smaller of the 2 definitely looks super hungry stomach is concaved but neither of them will go after the frozen shrimp.. I've tried everything I can think of to make it look like a fish and the won't budge. Anyone have another ideas??

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can try some live crickets for now. Throw into the current of your pump/filter. After getting some size on the fish then start mixing with cut up tilapia. Start to lessen the amount of live crickets and see if it’ll take the cut up food.

Reactions: mrrobxc

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hey everyone a local store had some barracudas so I picked up 2 of them and they were only eating live fish. I put them in a 90gal they r currently 5inches was hoping having roseline sharks and a few other fish they would encourage them to eat what I'm feeding which is raw shrimp. It's been 2 weeks since they ate when I walk up to the tank they r definitely interested in food but once I throw the shrimp in they don't even try. Any tips to get these guys off love and onto raw shrimp??
I can sometimes get mine to eat silversides or tilapia, but they have have to grab it right when it hits the water or they’ll ignore it

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store