Red Tail Catfish Transfer

LoganBrigs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2019
So I recently transferred my 14” Red Tail Cat into a 600 gallon pool, ever since I put him in, he hasn’t much at all and I don’t know why. I put him in about 2-3 weeks ago. PLEASE HELP!!!

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Same water parameters? Fish may be still settling in, seems long though, mine was pissed at me for a few days after I moved him to his current tank.

folks will Chime in,

and,

Welcome!

LoganBrigs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2019
Same water parameters? Fish may be still settling in, seems long though, mine was pissed at me for a few days after I moved him to his current tank.

folks will Chime in,

and,

Welcome!
I moved him out of a 55 because he was longer than it was wide and he was really happy in there, came up to the top of the tank and ate out of my hand even, it’s kinda weird.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Sounds like settling in and missing the interaction. Mine did exactly the same when I moved him from 120 to pond. "Went missing" for three weeks or more, hiding at the back and not coming out to feed with all the others.
What are the water parameters, just to check, what else is in there? How long had it been up n running, did he go with his old water added? Etc.

LoganBrigs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2019
Sounds like settling in and missing the interaction. Mine did exactly the same when I moved him from 120 to pond. "Went missing" for three weeks or more, hiding at the back and not coming out to feed with all the others.
What are the water parameters, just to check, what else is in there? How long had it been up n running, did he go with his old water added? Etc.
I hadn’t ever had anything else in it just got it, I have my clown knife fish in there with him but they’ve been in together for a month or two and are fine with each other it had been up n running for 2-3 days and I put his old water in yes but it didn’t really do much because it’s 600 gallons so it was mostly well water and it was about 74-75 degrees when I put him in which is about the same as it was before, and I acclimated him in a 5 gallon bucket for 30-45 minutes before putting him in.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Did you move any substrate, rocks, or filter media from the old tank, to the new tank?
Old water doesn't carry any of the beneficial bacteria to cycle a new tank, these bacteria are sessile, and only live on surfaces.

Reactions: dr exum

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
duanes duanes is quite right. You mention moving the fish and your old water over but haven't touched on your 600g tanks filtration. It might be something as innocent as your RTC just settling in still, but on the other hand, because you haven't given sufficient info regarding your filtration set up on your new 600g, then we have to also assume the worse, which is insufficient bio activity and subsequent ammonia increase thus stressing your RTC.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Are you familiar with cycling and how to track it and make sure a tank / pond is ready for occupants?

If your pond only ran 2-3 days, your pond is not cycled, most likely, and your RTC is suffering from toxins in the water, which turn off its appetite. Please test for ammonia and nitrite using a liquid API test kit (not strips) and report your numbers please in ppm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store