Red tail x tiger shovelnose not eating !!!!

Jedexertus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2010
coventry england
Hi all i got a 22" red tail x tiger shovelnose cat 3 day's ago he - she seem's very active and happy !!!! But hasn't eat anything at all !!! Is this normal for a large fish after being moved !!! or not ? I got a 13" tinfoil barb a couple of month's ago and when i put him in my tank he did not eat for nearly a week either !!! If this is normal for the rt x tsn when should it start eating !!! If anyone can give me a bit of info i would be very great full thank's !!!!

matt clark

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
guernsey
Jedexertus;4812277; said:
Hi all i got a 22" red tail x tiger shovelnose cat 3 day's ago he - she seem's very active and happy !!!! But hasn't eat anything at all !!! Is this normal for a large fish after being moved !!! or not ? I got a 13" tinfoil barb a couple of month's ago and when i put him in my tank he did not eat for nearly a week either !!! If this is normal for the rt x tsn when should it start eating !!! If anyone can give me a bit of info i would be very great full thank's !!!!
when did he /she last eat mine did the same. they can go for week without food at that size. dont worry about him jst yet

Jedexertus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2010
coventry england
I don't know didn't ask the bloke i got it off but he said it had been eating prawn's !!! Ive had it 3 day's
It keep's sort of stretching it's mouth open like it's hungry !!! I have in with it 3 tinfoil barb's from 7 inches to 12 inches !!! a 7 inch syno + 12 inch claris walking cat + 6 inch sun catfish + 2 small loaches abut 4 inches !!! It hasn't attacked anything yet either !!! The guy said the smaller fish would be ok if the rt x tsn is feed well and don't go hungry and he wont eat the other cats cuz they are to spiny !!! Hope this is true !!!! What do you think ?

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Amongst the Catfish & Plecos
Jedexertus;4812404; said:
I don't know didn't ask the bloke i got it off but he said it had been eating prawn's !!! Ive had it 3 day's
It keep's sort of stretching it's mouth open like it's hungry !!! I have in with it 3 tinfoil barb's from 7 inches to 12 inches !!! a 7 inch syno + 12 inch claris walking cat + 6 inch sun catfish + 2 small loaches abut 4 inches !!! It hasn't attacked anything yet either !!! The guy said the smaller fish would be ok if the rt x tsn is feed well and don't go hungry and he wont eat the other cats cuz they are to spiny !!! Hope this is true !!!! What do you think ?
My big hybrid is the most finicky big cat I have. (Given that is a relative concept though). Generally he's a good eater, but he's just more picky than others. I went through an almost 3 month period where he didn't eat a thing. (Long story, but I had to do some serious medicinal internal parasite treatments to get him through it after an introduction of new fish.). I say this only to give you an idea how long they can survive without food when they are large, not to worry you he's sick. Give him a few weeks. With clean water, a good environment, and tasty treats, I would guess that he will most likely start eating. Once he starts, it will ramp up quickly.:)

matt clark

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
guernsey
it sound to me like thebloke you got it from just wanted to get rid of it. mine has had everything from tinfoil arowana arowana to small rtc and i can go on. i always found worms to be good to get them eating again. just keep your eye on him. and add some pics if you get the time:)

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
I just reread this. Stretching its mouth is like yawning. It will do this to clear its gills. Make sure you water quality is up to par. They do this normally every once in a while, but if its frequent, it could be poor water quality, gill flukes, not enough aeration, etc. Test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. These cats are big polluters, and you might be shocked at how fast you water quality can crash.

Jedexertus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2010
coventry england
I checked the water the yesterday and it was Good !! Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 40 and ph 7.5 !!!!! It isn't stretching it's mouth very often !!!! there is good aeration aswell I have a 1550 l tank that has 850 l in it at the mo !!! getting some new filter's soon and will be filling it !!!! I am also doing x2 25% water change's every week or 1x 50% if not enough time !!! s the water is clean !!! all the there fish i have are fine !!!! Hope it's just the shock of moving It !!!! The guy needed rid or it cuz he was getting some ray pup's !!! and he was using it to cycle his tank !!! He said he had been feeding it prawn's !!! That is what i use for my tinfoil's + cat pellet's !!!Might try some worm's !!!! it doesn't show any interest !!! Ill try again today !!!! Thank's for your info !!!

Wet Whiskers

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Jedexertus;4815046; said:
Just got it to eat's some worm's !!!!!!!
Glad he started eating for you. As for the yawning, it doesn't sound like you water is a problem at all. I'd keep an eye on everyone for potential gill flukes, but he might just need a few days to settle in. He's a beautiful hybrid btw. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store