Red terror sexing and help

Cichlids621

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
I have a red terror which I believe is female but i want to make sure. If it is a female I'm wondering if one GT and this red terror would be ok for a 75. Right now their divided in a 55 but only temporarily.
Please help Thanks!
IMG_1580.JPG It's a little more red in person which makes me believe it's a female

IMG_1579.JPG

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
To me it looks female, with the black on the front of her dorsal and anal fins, and her pec fins going black as well. Males would be way different looking at that size more of a greenish overall color with them shiny iridescent spots on all of the fishes scales.

The RT is going to outgrow thw GT by far, it being female will get to around 12in or so and would need a 6ft tank. Where as if your lucky the male GT might get to the 12in mark, females only getting to 8in or so.

Reactions: Cichlids621

Cichlids621

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
Thank you
To me it looks female, with the black on the front of her dorsal and anal fins, and her pec fins going black as well. Males would be way different looking at that size more of a greenish overall color with them shiny iridescent spots on all of the fishes scales.

The RT is going to outgrow thw GT by far, it being female will get to around 12in or so and would need a 6ft tank. Where as if your lucky the male GT might get to the 12in mark, females only getting to 8in or so.
Thankyou do you happen to know how to sex green terrors also? I would be interested to know what mine is I got it from a friend who didn't want it and it's fins we're torn up and had very little color

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
GT are a lot harder to sex, unlike RTs that have very distinct changes in color and markings when they reach sexual maturity. Best bet for GTs is venting. Males normally are bigger and get a nok hump, as far as I know they dont have different marking for the sexes

Cichlids621

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
GT are a lot harder to sex, unlike RTs that have very distinct changes in color and markings when they reach sexual maturity. Best bet for GTs is venting. Males normally are bigger and get a nok hump, as far as I know they dont have different marking for the sexes
Ok Thanks once again you have been very helpful!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
That is a beautiful female RT you have there. Best of luck on what you choose to do. If it was me I would make that RT a solo/wet pet or try to get her a mate, will be a bit harder due to her size, and finding or growing out some males to her size, then getting a pair to bond....it could be done, but would need a rather large tank beings how male RTs can get to 16in in mark in a well taken care of tank and are quite beautiful in there own right.

Cichlids621

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
That is a beautiful female RT you have there. Best of luck on what you choose to do. If it was me I would make that RT a solo/wet pet or try to get her a mate, will be a bit harder due to her size, and finding or growing out some males to her size, then getting a pair to bond....it could be done, but would need a rather large tank beings how male RTs can get to 16in in mark in a well taken care of tank and are quite beautiful in there own right.
Thanks I'm looking forward to keeping it im most likely going to keep it alone after I give it one more shot to co exist with my green terror which I know is very unlikely.

Adam Fisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
Festae "looks" female, although males can be just as colourful the black pectorals and lack of spangles on the tail and dorsal suggests female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store