Red Tiger Motaguense - Rio Blanco

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
In a nutshell, there are fish in the hobby labeled both "Rio Blanco" and "Rio Copan."

Despite belief by some that they're different fish, they're the same per the guy who actually collected them and brought them to the hobby (Ken Davis):

"It's real simple, we collect in the Rio Blanco because it's a smaller tributery to the Copan and easier to collect, The Rio Blanco's in the hobby came from a location about a mile from where the Blanco runs into the Copan, so basically they are all the same fish. All the fish from the Blanco and Copan came from 4 collecting trips we made from 2006-2009. Ken"

You are correct on collection points. We specifically targeted that tributary for this fish, credited with being “more colorful” than other in the same species. Funny story...we arrived, and my first dip of the net I scooped up a 12” male. What a surprise. I have the photo somewhere. It was my F0 pair that fed the hobby In the beginning. I brought thousands of fry to Rapps for several years. The pair I have currently are F1. the attached photos are F0...collected on that trip that Ken also was one. A5D0E7DC-9A39-49F3-A448-3CDE8F65E653.jpeg1D49DA06-E939-4AA5-8E82-75BFD0AB9A00.jpeg52A9E83F-02F9-4684-AF38-5702DE2AD46C.jpeg

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Awesome!

You are correct on collection points. We specifically targeted that tributary for this fish, credited with being “more colorful” than other in the same species. Funny story...we arrived, and my first dip of the net I scooped up a 12” male. What a surprise. I have the photo somewhere. It was my F0 pair that fed the hobby In the beginning. I brought thousands of fry to Rapps for several years. The pair I have currently are F1. the attached photos are F0...collected on that trip that Ken also was one. View attachment 1457736View attachment 1457737

View attachment 1457738

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
You are correct on collection points. We specifically targeted that tributary for this fish, credited with being “more colorful” than other in the same species. Funny story...we arrived, and my first dip of the net I scooped up a 12” male. What a surprise. I have the photo somewhere. It was my F0 pair that fed the hobby In the beginning. I brought thousands of fry to Rapps for several years. The pair I have currently are F1. the attached photos are F0...collected on that trip that Ken also was one. View attachment 1457736View attachment 1457737View attachment 1457738
Stunning pics as usual Aquamojo Aquamojo ,
Great job bringing these beautiful specimens into the hobby. Kudos to you Aquamojo. Red Tiger Motas are a very stunning cichlid to say the least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store