red tiger taking nips at ornate bichir

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Hello all, in my tank, my ornate bichir lives a usually very peaceful lifestyle, him and the red tiger each control one side of the tank. However, whenever the bichir travels to the other side, the red tiger hits him a little, not a bloodbath or brawl, just a poke or two, depending on if he stays. I'm worried that the red tiger will eventually try and kill the bichir. They're both around 4 inches long. Do I have anything to worry about?

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Yes, its a red tiger motaguense, its currently a 150 tank. I plan on adding more fish soon
If it ends up being a male RTM, then you can expect more conflict with any inhabitants as it gets larger. At 4" it is already showing territorial behavior, and is bound to get worse if it feels its territory is too small. A 16" male RTM can easily control a 150g. Have spare tanks ready.

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
If it ends up being a male RTM, then you can expect more conflict with any inhabitants as it gets larger. At 4" it is already showing territorial behavior, and is bound to get worse if it feels its territory is too small. A 16" male RTM can easily control a 150g. Have spare tanks ready.
Thank you, how can I tell if it is male or female?

Reactions: clm08k

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes, its a red tiger motaguense, its currently a 150 tank. I plan on adding more fish soon
I tried 3 different cichlids with a group Senegal bichir but unfortunately they all started the nudging and biting and chasing. I eventually removed the Cichlid after I caught them doing it. The most territorial bichir I ever had was a 17" female but she would be no match for a cichlid like the Red Tiger Motaguense.
I suggest isolated the 2 in separate aquariums like you stated eventually the Cichlid will kill the Ornate .

Reactions: clm08k

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
I tried 3 different cichlids with a group Senegal bichir but unfortunately they all started the nudging and biting and chasing. I eventually removed the Cichlid after I caught them doing it. The most territorial bichir I ever had was a 17" female but she would be no match for a cichlid like the Red Tiger Motaguense.
I suggest isolated the 2 in separate aquariums like you stated eventually the Cichlid will kill the Ornate .
How much time would you say I have? My bichir is my favorite fish and to see it get killed would make me wracked with grief.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store