Ohio
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
0-2? Looks low.
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
A couple months ago I noticed my wolf fish managed to damage its eye. I took it out of the tank and into a 5 gal bucket to medicate for fungal and bacterial infections. Gave it Epsomsalt dips every other day and changed water every day. The medication i used was kanaplex. I did this for a solid month before its eye looked mostly healed and I returned it to its tank, as I figured the bucket was more stressful than its tank. It's eye is still not fully healed, or perhaps its a scab. I'm not entirely sure what happened to its eye, maybe smacked itself on its rock cave.

If someone could help me identify whats wrong with it that would be great. It could be jusy a healing injury or it could be something worse. Trying to prevent anything bad.

20210516_223949.jpg

20210516_221744.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I had a puffer get eye damage and has a similar clear mark over its eye. Likely due to some infection. I’ve been advised to just keep the water clean and keep an eye on it. It would heal eventually, even if slowly.
Nice thing about wolves is that they heal very fast.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
So the eye is showing normal post injury effect. The cloudiness may or may not go away in the next few months or year. I have a retropinnis bichir that hit it's one eye on decoration, and ended up with a little blood in the eye, and it was swollen. I treated the eye with epsom salt, methylene blue, and kanaplex for about 2 weeks (max dose of kanaplex). After ~1 year, the top part of the eye has a moon cresecent shaped haziness, and I'm not sure if the bichir can fully see out of the eye because it used to swim constantly prior to the injury as I approached the tank to feed it (or maybe it just age).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store