red wolf fish purple wolf fish rainbow wolf fish mini wolf fish wtf

Jrp0405

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
Mi
Red wolves are the smallest wolf fish I'm aware of, looking at a max of ten inches or so. I wouldn't forsee a problem with a pleco, but all wolves are ambush predators...so if it's of the size to be eaten...it will most likely happen at some point.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There are some even smaller ones but likely not available here. For example erythrinus sp Paraguay.

Large fish get 5inches apparently. Rarely brought in. But looks pretty.

Should be fine with a bristle nose pleco but introduce small so it'll get used to tankmates.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Non aggressive fish that gar bigger than it.

So no to large/aggressive cichlids, piranha and gulpers.

Reactions: tlindsey

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Agree with kno4te. Though I haven't heard of the Paraguay one. Because it's rare it probably hasn't been grown to its potential so idk about 5" max. Can't comment on that fish. Ery ery and ery sp Peru ime aren't problematic with tankmates. They aren't as tough as hoplias so nothing to aggressive as stated. I have mine with a jaguar cat and bichirs and a lone survivor SD from another tank. No gulper cat or piranha. And as stated you can out it with bristle nose plecs, shouldn't be an issue imo.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a mature Ery Peru in my 180g tankmates are Bichir, Florida Gar, Datnoid, Lg SD's and 2 mature Geo's. Now and then the wolf will flare up but no harm done.

Reactions: Jrp0405 and kno4te

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
I've herd the purple wolf stays smaller and tends to be less aggressive than the red wolf. I got no experience with the purple wolf, but own a red wolf. I tried keeping mine with silver dollars, severum, blue acara, and a red tail shark. Surprisingly the only one that was able to survive was the smallest one of them all, the red tail shark. But I don't swimming out in the open much. I have alot of fake plants and vases on one side and the red tail shark is able to chill there. My wolf murdered everyone else, but the severum. I was able to get him out when i saw he was being attacked.

My friend has his red wolf in a tank with senegals and a tire track eel. The red wolf will nip the senegals if they go near his cave during feeding time but nothing damaging. The red wolf and eel will also sometimes might go at it, but again no visible damage.

I personally think they're best kept alone. Mine is always out and about and begging for food when you go near the tank, while his hides a lot. After removing all the tank mates but the red tail shark I saw a big increase in my red wolfs activity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store