Redfin pickerel + sunfish = nofin pickerel?

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
I really like the looks of redfin pickerel, but my only properly sized tank has a longear sunfish and a warmouth sunfish in it, and a redbreast sunny will join them at some point. I don't think the warmouth would be an issue, but I've read that some sunfish will mistake a redfin's finnage for food and pick all the fins off. Is this true?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I don't trust a pickerel with a huge mouth sunfish.

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Hm, that could also be an issue. A fully-grown warmouth has a mouth that opens just about wide enough to fit a golfball.
Never mind, then. I'll shelve the pickerel idea until I don't have a fish that'll swallow it whole.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Get a grass pickerel, I have 2 in two different tanks, both with pumpkinseed sunnies, zero issues.

The one is also in with 2 crappie and a coosae bass. I can't speak on warmouths but I've heard they aren't real bad with tankmates.

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Unsure of compatibility but pickerel sure would look good in a community tank. Be watching this thread with interest.

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I really like the looks of redfin pickerel, but my only properly sized tank has a longear sunfish and a warmouth sunfish in it, and a redbreast sunny will join them at some point. I don't think the warmouth would be an issue, but I've read that some sunfish will mistake a redfin's finnage for food and pick all the fins off. Is this true?
Do you know where you can find a pickerel?

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Many people have had problems with pickeral and sunfish.....I have ever tried, but a very well respected Nanfa member tried once and ended up with a dead pickeral. Chain Pickeral are much bigger and more aggressive than redfin and will need a much larger tank, they will probably end up eating your sunfish when its gets large enough.

Ahlborn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2020
I am looking to buy redfin pickerel. If anyone can get some let me know. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store