redparot

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I think what you are looking for is a blood parrot. Try lookin at that. And check the hybrid forum here. Alot of good info about BPs. GL

Chad

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
they grow to around 8-10" if they live to adulthood which most undyed parrots can. if the parrot is any color but a nice orange or grey then chances are it was dyed. dyed parrots often (not always) start to lose color after around 6 months and then slowly die. 55 gallons would be great to see them get to the big size that they can. any type of flake or small pellet would work as a staple diet. they usually range from mild to medium aggressiveness but if they try to spawn they will become much more territorial. male blood parrots however are usually (again not always) sterile and can't fertilize the eggs so the eggs will fungus over and eventually get eaten.

that's some starter info...if you need more specifics just ask :D :thumbsup:

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
While I agree that dying parotts is inhumane I don't agree that it is a death sentance.

If they live through the process, and a lot don't , thay can live a long life. I have a group of them that I got before I knew that they were dyed and they have been growing fine and they are now 1.5 years old.

Even old faded fish need love.lol

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I think I just worded it wrong because I do agree with you repair....I'd say the majority of dyed parrots (and other dyed fish) will die within a year, however there are definitely exceptions and you will occasionally run across some that will survive much longer and possibly even live a full life. if you're playing the odds however, I think it's at least fair to say the odds are not good of buying a dyed fish and having it live for more than a year. :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store