Redtail catfish Missing tail

joeylemons2005

Feeder Fish
Oct 19, 2019
So I bought a 5 inch RTC and was told his tail was bit off from a puffer fish. He only has a nub no fins. Will it grow back or will I have a disabled redtail for the rest of his 15 years. I don't mind just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I bought a 5 inch RTC and was told his tail was bit off from a puffer fish. He only has a nub no fins. Will it grow back or will I have a disabled redtail for the rest of his 15 years. I don't mind just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before.

Welcome aboard

It depends on how much of the tail is bitten off. If there is no fin tissue left then the tail. will remain a nub. Happy to hear you still plan to care for the Redtail Catfish.

Reactions: Matteus and dr exum

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
....not the clearest of photos but it looks as if the tail was bitten off too far down for any regeneration to take place.In a lot of cases fins can regrow if they were not detached past the point where they touch the body.

fishing madness

Feeder Fish
Nov 15, 2020
I brought a Redtail catfish almost 4 inches and kept him with another yellow catfish. So both of them had a fight and my redtails fin and tail is torn. Will it regrow back its tissues????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store