Redtail Catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I will try and get these tests ASAP, feeding consists of Hikari’s massivore, blood red parrot and carnivore sticks,once a day in small quantities, stopped chicken breast once they started regurgitating there food.
Filtration: 250L sump -
Column 1 : K1 media
Column 2 : filter media , ie filter pads
Column 3 : 10kg zeolite
Column 4 : return pump
Would it be time for me to reduce the number of Fish in my tank ?
What is the purpose of the zeolite?

[0] Measure your tank water.

[1] You can measure the ammonia and nitrite in your output water, that is the water your pump is pumping out of your filter. If it has any readable ammonia (for ammonia test tube reference use the same test tube but of tap water or bottled water, not the paper color chart) or nitrite, then, yes, either reduce the bioload or increase the filtration and the turn over in the tank.

[2] Rule of thumb says no more fish than 1 cu inch of fish per gallon of water. A two-foot RTC's body volume is 2 feet (24 inches) x 3 inches (average width, from say 10" at cranial to 1/4 inch tail fin) x 6 inches (average height) = this comes to 432 cu inches, while your tank is 260 gal + 66 gal sump but neither is full to the brim, so overall volume is say 280 gal.

432 vs 280 - with one RTC you are already 1.5x over the limit.

Even if we guesstimate more conservatively - 24 x 2 x 4 = that already is 192 cu inches, close to the limit.

[3] All four fish are only beginning to grow.

[4] It is a bad idea to feed items of non-aquatic origin to aquatic animals such as RTC, especially meats from warm-blooded animals, and especially as fatty as commercially raised chickens for human consumption. The fat solidifies at the RTC body temp (same as water temp) and is deposited around vital organs leading to a premature degradation and death.

Reactions: Matteus and dr exum

Vaneshan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
South Africa
Thanks guys
I’m currently looking for a larger tank as we speak as I’m not going to give up on my fish so soon.
One more thing , is it normal for RTC to have yellowish coloration on its sides and head
The one in the bottom as more of a golden coloration on its head

B174204D-BE3A-4776-AEDC-7B28C0C68A6C.jpeg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
larger tank is a good start!

BIG FISH BOB

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2019
Once my RTC got to be around 30" he started getting thicker and the length slowed down. Sounds like about a 200 gallon tank. Which is kind of small for those beefy fish. You should cut down on the feedings.... at least until you get your nitrites to 0.00. You really should check ammonia and PH as well. Ammonia should be 0 as well. PH can have a range 6.5-7.5....I try to stay right at 7. The PH will drop the more waste that's in the tank. It's possible the RTC's aren't eating because of a low PH. By cutting down on the feedings I mean DON'T feed them at all....they can go a long time without food. Good Luck!!!

The yellow color is completely normal.Good looking fish....... how old 2-3 years I guess?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Vaneshan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
South Africa
Hi Guys

Does the length of a new tank matter or is it the liters that’s most important as I’m considering a cube tank set up dew to space

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store