Reducing my numbers?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hey guys, I have a 120 rift tank and it has about 20 haps 1 mbuna and 2 vics. and 2 larger synos Everything is fine with the tank but because of the load I’m having to do WCs 3-4 times a week. I had a little bit of a health scare last week and decided I should probably cut back on how much I have going on. I was initially going to sell this tank and all the fish, but im thinking maybe I could sell off a lot of the fish and keep around 8. Think that 8 would work or cause too many aggression issues?
Here’s the 8 I would keep
1 VC10 Hap
1 pombo rocks yellow chin hap
1 mbamba mbuna
1 xmas fulu
1 Rubens Red
1 Sunshine
1 Aulonocara Stuartgranti chilumba
1 Malawi barracuda
Plus one of the synos, probably the decorus
Here’s the tank as it is now

Reactions: Caveden

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
What are the dimensions of the 120? I don't think 8 would work.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Maybe replace the two big Synodontis & replace with a group of Red Tail or YoYo Loaches.
I keep a group of nine YoYo's & four Red Tails in my heavily stocked 120 gal. IMO, Botia Loaches are the best scavengers, keeping the substrate clean & nitrates low.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would remove the synos, and replace them with nothing. Then cut the current feed amount to half of what you are currently feeding, and see how that goes. I suspect that you will see a significant reduction in your bio load. If the fish do ok on the new amount, keep running with that. If not, increase a little at a time as required to keep your nitrates within a reasonable amount between weekly water changes.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I would remove the synos, and replace them with nothing. Then cut the current feed amount to half of what you are currently feeding, and see how that goes. I suspect that you will see a significant reduction in your bio load. If the fish do ok on the new amount, keep running with that. If not, increase a little at a time as required to keep your nitrates within a reasonable amount between weekly water changes.
Thanks, I’m currently feeding them once a day, every other day about as much as they can eat in 5-ish minutes. Do you still think I can cut that in half?

Reactions: ..puSkar..

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Maybe replace the two big Synodontis & replace with a group of Red Tail or YoYo Loaches.
I keep a group of nine YoYo's & four Red Tails in my heavily stocked 120 gal. IMO, Botia Loaches are the best scavengers, keeping the substrate clean & nitrates low.
Thanks, how often are you having to do WCs with your current 120g setup?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thanks, I’m currently feeding them once a day, every other day about as much as they can eat in 5-ish minutes. Do you still think I can cut that in half?
Yes, cut it down to as much as they can consume in 2 1/2 ish minutes.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
........ and lose the cats. Those two changes might surprise you when you test your nitrate levels. .

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store