Reef rock

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Permission is key. Some localities regulate what can be collected, if anything. Example pebble beach in California it is illegal to collect their famous and fabulous "pebbles". Your own land is great for rocks and suppliers charge pennies/pound.
Very good point! Over a lifetime of collecting rocks/wood in the wild for aquarium use, I have on one occasion run afoul of a local ordinance banning collecting alongside the road. I was unaware of the rule...had never even heard of or imagined such a thing...and I had stopped alongside the roadway in a quiet, lonely section to give my dog a chance to relieve herself (on leash) near Bancroft, Ontario, which bills itself as the "Mineral Capital of Canada"; we had a cottage nearby for many years, and a rock-collecting friend asked me to look out for a specific type of stone commonly found there. While Lotus diligently searched for that "special spot" required for her ablutions, I started to notice some cool little pebbles on the ground, and began picking a few up and pocketing them. When I heard a car slowing and pulling over, I looked up to see a young OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) officer coming towards me.

He was friendly and polite, and we chatted for a few minutes. He asked if everything was alright with me, and I explained why I had stopped and what we were doing. He was okay with a 140-pound Mastiff/Dane mix taking a typically melon-sized poop along the road...but perked up when he saw my new rock collection. He informed me in no uncertain terms that I had broken the law and should drop those pebbles right back onto the ground or face a citation. It sounded so silly and ridiculous to me that I did one of the things you should not do when dealing with the law; I laughed at him.

It all ended well enough, the pebbles were released back into nature, and later my rockhound friend and I had a spirited discussion about the ethics of sending unsuspecting people into the world of crime without proper warnings. :)

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
It is usually safer if you think along these lines: if it is not yours (or you haven't gone through the hassle of getting permission), don't take it.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
A little on the pricey side but you may want to look at Underwater Galleries cichlid caves. I love mine. They displace very little water, are lighter and the cichlids love the caves.

267A5436-C861-4CF4-876C-FF672D96CF4B.jpeg

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store