Regani confirmation

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
These were sold to me as crenicichla "brazil". I believe they are regani as stated in the title, but was hoping somebody with a better trained eye could assist me.

20170209_204303.jpg

20170209_204344.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Tank looks great. I wish I can help but it's tough without seeing the females.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Well the bottom pic is the "assumed" female. She was displaying to one of two males in the shop when I bought them. Even still despite the move she was doing the snake like display shortly after. I know her ocelli in her dorsal is barely visible, but there is 1 faint dot, plus her abdomen was prominently larger.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I'd say it's likely regani since it clearly isn't notaphthalmus. Since it's listed as Brazil, it rules Out Orinoco, and wallacei has a different color scheme.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Ok thanks. They have showed some flashes of color and if they go into spawning mode could be quite pretty I think. I'll try and get some pics if they do.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
It could be Cr. regani, which is generally considered a super species in dire need of someone to go through them and break them up. In fact, one has already been broken off into it's own undescribed species, Cr. sp. Xingu dwarf. There are dozens of minor variations of Cr. regani so knowing for sure which one without origin will be tough but it's the most likely.

I have seen a few female Tapjos regani without the dorsal ocelli, though not many.

Cr. sp. Xingu dwarf might be an outside possibility. Usually there is only one pic on the net of them, a highly distressed male (clearly showing the stress bars). I did manage to find one that showed them not stressed out here: http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Gallerie/Cichliden/Seiten/Crenicichla regani Rio Xingu.htm

It's a fairly close match to your male, but I haven't seen pics of the females so I wouldn't feel comfy saying that's what it is for sure.

Reactions: lunsforj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store