releasing koi?

rjssniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
ohio
the temps here in ohio are up to 50. i have a 10x15x3 ft watering hole for the horses. its spring fed by a small creek that runs through my property. the koi in my tank is about 9 in. and i love to have him in there but he simply loves to tear up my plants and gravel. for the next 10 days its not going to go below freezing. i would like to release him in the watering hole. a woman at the pet store told me to not feed him for a few days and put him in a bucket of water that is room temp and place him outside for a few hours untill the water temp reaches the outside temp...then release him. is this ok to do during our warm spell and will he be ok if in a week and a half the temps dip below freezing. thanks in advance.

p.s. i planned on putting him into the watering whole origionaly

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
No, it takes weeks for outdoor fish to prepare for freezing temps. They have to store oxygen in their fats to survive and convert their blood to a sort of antifreeze as well. A few hours or even days of prep will not suffice. He would die out there unless he's already been exposed to extremely low temps and shortened light periods for a few weeks at least. What is his current tank like, temp and light wise?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store