Relocation advice?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Wise Aro-heads,
I need the move a 24"er from her indoor tank to her new outdoor pond. Any advice on i) catching, ii) acclimatizing?
to #1: I've not got a big soft net & can't seem to find/source one. Pillowcase? Fitted sheet?
to #2: I've got big black totes that can be placed in the pond for a slow temperature & slow cup-cup water swap. However, I am now & will do a major water change on both (tank & pond) as the water source is the same for both (rain tanks). Pond should be a lower pH as there are leaves & live plants, but it's also concrete for buffering. Temperature will be another issue, so will move the fish in the mid-AM before the sun starts to heat the tannin'd water. Ultimately the pond doesn't seem to sun-heat badly as it's quite deep.

Thoughts?

Swordtails went straight in without issue, as did the black mullet; the mullet tend to be particularly sensitive to chemistry/toxins, so maybe also to pH & temp.-shock(?)

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Personally with a big move like this I start a day or so before and empty half the tank water and fill back up with water from the pond. That way the fish is already acclimatising for a day without knowing it.
Never tried to move one using a pillowcase as mine is quite flighty so the rubber feel deep landing net works a treat off eBay, in it and can’t jump before she even knows.

Michael Alebrtus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2020
I wouldn't recommend using net to move arowana fish. It will rebel in the process and will likely to damaged its scales, barbel, fins, opens up risk to other injuries. Using shipping bag is recommended when transporting arowana. Bagging the fish alone simply wouldn't work, as it will fights back. We need to make it tired first before bagging so it will not retaliate and caused harm to itself. First thing to do, lower the water level, to prevent it from jumping out of the tank. The most commonly used method is the spin method. It is very good at making it tired for safer transport. Its basically grab the head area of the fish and spin it. You will need to predict where the fish will be and intercept it. Once you get a grip of the fish, spin it in the direction where the fish wants to swim. It can change directions so be aware. Avoid touching the body and tail parts of the fish during this process as it will trigger jumping. Once your fish is exhausted (mouth gasping and calm), you can try to bagged it. The opening of the plastic bag should not face upside where the fish can jump, position it downward tilt. When you lift the bag, it should be horizontal and you should tightly grip the opening of the bag.

watch this video to have better understanding:

LINK

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Thanks Fishman Dave Fishman Dave - an Amazon link for this net? Likely won't make the timeline on this move, but let's see & sounds vital in the tool-kit.
Filling with pond-water's a great idea, I'll see what I can do. Alt, both the tank & pond are filled from the same rain-tank so I've done 65% changes on both yesterday to repeat at least once before the move. Prime differences will be possible temperature & impact of leaves to pH & hardness, again somewhat mitigated by the shared-source water so long as there's not too much time between the water swap & the fish move.

Thanks M Michael Alebrtus - her current tank's only 20" wide (why she's moving) and so no space for spinning. I'd seen this done while getting juveniles from the male's mouth & wondered why - thanks :)
Thanks for the video - I don't think that heavy clear bag's going to readily available locally, but I'll have a look. How about a black (trash) bag? ...I expect she'll freak.

I had some success in her 14' move last year by lowering the water, then halving the tank's length/area with a cotton bed-sheet. The idea was to use the sheet as the net, but I had a big normal net that worked fine for that smaller bendy fish. For the now much larger & more powerful fish I may have to return to the sheet-as-net idea... carefully, including keeping the fish in the wet sheet "sling" as it's only a few metres travel.
ThinkingThinking...

Reactions: Michael Alebrtus

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Thanks Fishman Dave Fishman Dave - an Amazon link for this net? Likely won't make the timeline on this move, but let's see & sounds vital in the tool-kit.
not sure how to add a link but search Amazon for “rubber landing net”.
I use one by Rodeel as it’s extendable too so can use it on my koi pond.
it’s only 17” wide so can fit nicely in a tank and at 17” deep it holds fish well although I guess a 24” arawana is on the limit but the 2 ft koi manage ok.

1750FCC8-CF96-42E6-AAAC-DF60B06E27E9.png
Only thing to note is the overall weight limit of 7kg but that will be one hell of a 24” arrowana if over 7kg.
I also use it to get the larger cats heads in to bring them towards larger nets or containers.

Last edited:
Reactions: andyroo

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I would go the sedation route.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Brilliant, thanks
a couple of options on the US Amazon - would you recommend triangle or rectangle?
Triangle personally as they are sturdier. If you have ever tried to empty gravel out of a tank with a rectangle net you will know what I mean.
would be surprised if a rectangle net of similar size had the same weight limit.

Reactions: andyroo

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
she started hammering her head against the top-door braces, new drop-eye, marks & scars before the triangle net arrived...
so I gave up & used the pool net. It worked, but not well.

Here she is in the new digs, I'm realizing she's never seen rain before.

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4325.jpeg

IMG_4323.jpeg

Attachments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store