Remote deep sand bed for freshwater?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I believe that we all are aware of that. They create nitrates as the result of the completion of the nitrogen cycle.
And those nitrates are removed/reduced via severall options.

So I turn back to my initial question, for the removal/reduction of nitrates, what is the difference between the employ of a DSB or a fluidized sand filter?

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
knifegill;4647773; said:
DSB is nitrate removal by anaerobes, fluidized sand is nitrate creation by aerobes.
Miguel;4649500; said:
why would you want to create nitrates? To remove them afterwards?
Danger_Chicken;4650739; said:
All bio filters create nitrates. The DSB's, denitrators, plants, resins are a means to remove/lower nitrates between water changes.
Miguel;4650896; said:
I believe that we all are aware of that. They create nitrates as the result of the completion of the nitrogen cycle.
And those nitrates are removed/reduced via severall options.

So I turn back to my initial question, for the removal/reduction of nitrates, what is the difference between the employ of a DSB or a fluidized sand filter?
I thought knifegill answered that but he's a little more - DSB's remove nitrates; fluidized sands filters will not remove them, only create them. Typical bio filters do not complete the nitrogen cycle, they stop after nitrate production. DSB remove nitrates by depleting O2 in the lower layers of the sand bed. the BB breaks the nitrate molecule to get the Oxygen from it, releasing nitrogen gas (they don't actually eat nitrates). This is actually the completion of the nitgrogen cycle. Fluidizied sand filters are get bio filters because they are oxygenated with tons of surface area, to reduce nitrates to nitrogen gas reuqires a little to no oxygen environment.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Here is my fish created DSB. They piled all the sand in one corner and I left it. It's about 5" deep. The black sand is where nitrate reduction is taking place, there are a couple of really dark spots - these are actually gas pockets. Some of the black is actually algea that grew on the glass under the sand and then died. I've seen gas bubble out a few times. Freaky at first, but kind of cool once I realized what it was.

Point to note: I'm assuming it's nitrogen bubbling out. From what I've read I'm under the impression one bubble of hydrogen sulifed will wipe out the tank instantly (however it may require more with 220gals). I have a ph meter attached to the tank and the PH stays around 7.42 There is also no rotten egg odor when a bubble is released.

I don't like having it in the main tank so I'll be draining the tank and cleaning it out in a few weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store