Required tank size

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
Hi guys, I have a flowerhorn, a jag, a mayan & common pleco in a 75gl. They seem to be gaining size, and I'd appreciate some advice on what size tank to get next. TQVM

Reactions: tlindsey

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
probaly closer to 180 but that fish combo might not work in the long run
Due to aggression.. even in a large tank? The flowerhorn grows the fastest, and I currently place pots and wire mesh mazes to deter the attacks to the rest. I think the poor Mayan hides the most

Reactions: dr exum

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If you really want a good shot at a forever home for all those fish, especially if you have males, I would say more like 300 gallons. 180 would be a good size for a singe male managuense for exmaple, but I doubt it would be able to live peacefully with the others who also will get bulky and are all quite mean usually. 180 might last you a good while, but not forever imo. 300 will give you a good chance, but still no guarantees with these species.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
or better yet just get a couple 125gs and call it a day might not be worth all the lost money for medication and treatments for beat up fish I would just separate them Gourami Swami Gourami Swami is right though if you want to keep them together your going to need a huge tanks and it will still be hit or miss with aggresion

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
or better yet just get a couple 125gs and call it a day might not be worth all the lost money for medication and treatments for beat up fish I would just separate them Gourami Swami Gourami Swami is right though if you want to keep them together your going to need a huge tanks and it will still be hit or miss with aggresion
Noted with thanks. ?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store