Res turtles- need nesting box?

Snoanjl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2018
Northern michigan
I need to know if my turtle need a nesting box and what to put as substrate in it. It is winter here so I would need stuff I can find at pet store.
A little bit about my turtles. I have 3 red eared slider turtles. 2 I have had for over a year. Rescued from someone who couldn’t care for them. Names are HIde and Seek. 6 months ago I rescued another turtle from someone who also couldn’t care for him. He has no front feet. Just stubs. And some of his tail is missing. Must have been chewed by something. They found him on side of road. His name is Bobby stubs. By size I would say he is less than a year. Note his disability does not seem to effect him. Up until now I thought they were all males. A few weeks ago bob started biting the necks of my other turtles and would not let go. He is now in his own 75 gallon tank. The other two are in a 200 gallon. They all have proper lights, Heat, filtration, and basking spots. I keep a close eye on temps in and out of water as well as water cleanliness. (I have had rescued turtles in the past)
So now to my problem. Hide has been basking MUCH more than normal and not eating much. He even sits on logs/platforms at night to sleep. I replaced my bulbs and checked water temp to be sure everything is ok but he still doesn’t go in water much. This has been going on for about a month. I thought it was because Bob was bugging him but removing bob has not seemed to be making a difference. Seek seems to be acting normally. I took Hide and Seek out of tank to look at them and from online research I think they might be females and may have eggs. Little bulges by back legs that are not their normal. I am thinking maybe bob got them knocked up? . I am aware of the improper term. I have never needed a nesting box before because I have always had males I guess. I think I can figure out how to add a box on top of tank to make a nesting box but substrate is the big question. Online research doesn’t help much when I only have one small pet store to deal with to find stuff. There is snow on ground here so just getting dirt and sand would be a challenge. The people at pet store are NOT helpful and no vets within 100 miles deal with turtles. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
How about a mixture of organic garden soil and sand? Keep it at a temperature of 70-80 degrees moist but not wet.
Exactly you could rig up a plastic container to hold said materials.
Also those don't appear to be red ear sliders

Reactions: tlindsey

Snoanjl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2018
Northern michigan
Exactly you could rig up a plastic container to hold said materials.
Also those don't appear to be red ear sliders
Thank you. We are setting up a container on top of tank and working on a ramp for it. The vet said they were red eared sliders. Pics don’t show all their colors well. One was also almost colorless when I got him from neglect. He has much better coloring now. Seems to be a little less than the other two though.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you. We are setting up a container on top of tank and working on a ramp for it. The vet said they were red eared sliders. Pics don’t show all their colors well. One was also almost colorless when I got him from neglect. He has much better coloring now. Seems to be a little less than the other two though.
Might be yellow eared sliders, care is about the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store