Resealing 180

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I just bought a used 180. The seams aren't horrible, but could use a reseal since its currently empty. I was just refreshing myself on how to reseal and came across a lot of threads that are starting to make me worry. The biggest Ive done is a 135 which was going strong after I sold it.

If you resealed a tank this size would you trust it? I was planning on using rtv 108 or scs1200. If this flooded an interior room of a new house I don't know if you could find where she buried me.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Fill it if you can and Check the seams between the panels if the silicone looks white then it is being stressed or pull apart.
If it looks normal then you’re good.
If it looks okay then I would just do a reseal on the inside.
I bought a 220 that the silicone was actually coming out I used the RTV silicone and did a complete tear down and rebuild.
That was in 2009 it’s still holding.
RTV is really good.

Reactions: Matteus

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Fill it if you can and Check the seams between the panels if the silicone looks white then it is being stressed or pull apart.
If it looks normal then you’re good.
If it looks okay then I would just do a reseal on the inside.
I bought a 220 that the silicone was actually coming out I used the RTV silicone and did a complete tear down and rebuild.
That was in 2009 it’s still holding.
RTV is really good.
How did you reseal it? 2 people or did you go halfway then smooth out the seams?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You can do a reseal alone. Just clean all the old silicone out and lay the bead and smooth.
To rebuild I had to have two other people to help hold the panels while I laid down the silicone.
The tank I found was an old 220 with 3/4 inch glass and no center bracing.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I did my 265 a few years ago and it is quite watertight to this day.I bought it used and it had sprung a leak shortly after so I removed all the interior silicone and then resealed it.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
For me, I'd rather spend $800 on a new one than have a reseal blow out and deal with the aftermath. I guess unless it was in a unfinished basement or something.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
For me, I'd rather spend $800 on a new one than have a reseal blow out and deal with the aftermath. I guess unless it was in a unfinished basement or something.
Where are you getting a reef ready 180 for $800 new?

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I did my 265 a few years ago and it is quite watertight to this day.I bought it used and it had sprung a leak shortly after so I removed all the interior silicone and then resealed it.
This makes me feel better. What silicone did you use?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store