Restricted Species

N-E Cichlids

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2006
Ellenton, Florida
WWW.N-ECICHLIDS.COM
Before I ask let me say yes I read the threads on state restricted species, so I do know them, however I sometimes need clarification on the codes.

In Florida it says Bony tongue fish. My local supplier lists all restricted species in Florida and will not let me buy them without my permit, However they say I can buy the African and Jardini Aros and the fwc has lifed the ban on them.

I have called and emailed the fwc and no response. Does anyone know if that is true.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I didn't see anything about any ban being lifted. Here's the site:

http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/Restricted.html

All bony tongue fishes, family Osteoglossidae are restricted, except arowana (Osteoglossum bicirrhosum) is exempted, due to their inability to survive temperatures below 58 degrees Fahrenheit.

N-E Cichlids

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2006
Ellenton, Florida
WWW.N-ECICHLIDS.COM
Oddball;1345633; said:
I didn't see anything about any ban being lifted. Here's the site:

http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/Restricted.html

All bony tongue fishes, family Osteoglossidae are restricted, except arowana (Osteoglossum bicirrhosum) is exempted, due to their inability to survive temperatures below 58 degrees Fahrenheit.
That's what I have read. I take that to mean only Bony Tongue fish in the Osteoglossidae family are restricted. The African Aro is in the Arapaimidae Family, not the Osteoglossidae family.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
N-E Cichlids;1346172; said:
That's what I have read. I take that to mean only Bony Tongue fish in the Osteoglossidae family are restricted. The African Aro is in the Arapaimidae Family, not the Osteoglossidae family.
Unfortunately, FL also lists afaros (Heterotis niloticus) along with the other restricted bony-tongues.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Does that mean that African butterfly fish are also banned?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store