return to suratensis

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Combined shipping with QuoVadis, and am returning after about 10 tears without, to Etroplus suratensis.
Seeing some of nothos pics, and watching the Smithsonian species Eurasia rekindled my interest.

Although these are young, these primarily vegetarian primitive cichlids grow to be gentle giants, much like their new world distant cousins pearsei and bocourti.

a couple phone shots from a decade ago, this one was almost the size of a dinner plate.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Nice pics Duane. Looking forward to seeing more of your new group. BTW, I saw the series you're referring to, Eurasia was the best episode. And the fish were gorgeous. Kudos for getting back into this species.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Glad to see that you got some of these incredibly beautiful fish again. I got mine about a year ago (10) from Jose at 3/4" TL. Now they're approaching 6" and getting more striking every day. Looks as if a pair has formed so hope there is a spawning in the offing. Mine are thriving in brackish water (sp gr = 1.005 -1.010) along with a colony of 15 or so Orange Chromides.

surat.jpg

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
You got some much better pictures than I was able to when they were in my tank! They really are pretty. I am excited to try to find some Pearl Chromides for my Asian tank, since I don't have room for a big brackish tank. Have you considered Monos, Scats, or Archerfish to go with the Suratensis?

Also, I forgot to tell you that I treated them orally with Metronidazole and Prazi for parasites, because some of the fish that came in with them were showing some symptoms and/or were wild caught, and so I just gave it to the whole tank. Just FYI.

Reactions: Zanzag

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I am considering some other brackish types, archers, uros, or if they appear again, Alcolapia alcalicus.

You got some much better pictures than I was able to when they were in my tank! They really are pretty. I am excited to try to find some Pearl Chromides for my Asian tank, since I don't have room for a big brackish tank. Have you considered Monos, Scats, or Archerfish to go with the Suratensis?

Also, I forgot to tell you that I treated them orally with Metronidazole and Prazi for parasites, because some of the fish that came in with them were showing some symptoms and/or were wild caught, and so I just gave it to the whole tank. Just FYI.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
There were just some Soda cichlids on Aquabid a couple weeks ago! Not sure if they are still there or if there is a way to find out who the seller was and contact them directly...

Have you ever kept Scats? I never liked them until I saw them in person and no they are the top fish I'd keep if I had a brackish tank. Pictures really don't do them justice!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I do find scats interesting, and they are regulars in LFSs here, as are monos and some brackish gobies.
Depending of how geographically incorrect I can abide to deviate, will be the determining factor.
Every since snorkeling with and seeing some of the brackish sailfin mollies in the cenotes of Mexico, I have wanted to try keeping them.

Daniru

Feeder Fish
Mar 10, 2019
Combined shipping with QuoVadis, and am returning after about 10 tears without, to Etroplus suratensis.
Seeing some of nothos pics, and watching the Smithsonian species Eurasia rekindled my interest.

Although these are young, these primarily vegetarian primitive cichlids grow to be gentle giants, much like their new world distant cousins pearsei and bocourti.

a couple phone shots from a decade ago, this one was almost the size of a dinner plate.

Please can you tell me the name of this fish?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Please can you tell me the name of this fish?
It is Etroplus suratensus ( sometimes referred to as the green chromed).
It is predominantly a vegetarian from India, where (because it gets large), it is a staple food for humans.

Although small tank will work OK as a grow out, for adults, at least a 6 foot tank "over" 100 gallons will be needed, they get the size of dinner plates.
below, a pair spawning in a 150 gallon tank, on a large log

eggs

If a large not is not in the cards for you, a much better choice would be their close cousin (much smaller )
Etroplus canarensus

Below a video of young suratensus eating Dandilions
Etroplus eating dandilions

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store