MI
Price
Region
Midwest / Great Lakes
State
Michigan
Pickup or shipping
Shipping or Pickup
Rhoadsia altipinna. This is a very important fish to keep in the hobby I haven't seen this fish in over 20 years. This is the Swiss army knife of all fish a true Holy Grail for me. It has appeal for cichlid lovers Tetra lovers piranha lovers and predatory fish lovers all in one. It is predatory it is territorial and it is aggressive and it has Beauty a perfect tank mate for large aggressive cichlids which it can hold its own against. I hope we all can breed and help make this fish more common in the hobby this is a seriously rare fish. click on the link if you need more information about it https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/rhoadsia-altipinna-info-update.720526/ .. they are five for $150 plus shipping if you buy 10 or more I would drop $5 off and give you 10 for $250 or if you're a local and you're picking up $30 each even if you just buy one.. shipping in the US only( the photo is not mine)

20190508_165854.jpg

Festae Forever

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
The last time I saw these I was managing a tropical fish wholesale operation while going to school........in the 80's! As I remember they were highly agro.....esepcially the males. My mentor who was the foremost woman in the hobby at the time would call them Diamond Tetras on steroids.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
The last time I saw these I was managing a tropical fish wholesale operation while going to school........in the 80's! As I remember they were highly agro.....esepcially the males. My mentor who was the foremost woman in the hobby at the time would call them Diamond Tetras on steroids.
How do you think they’d fare with Crenicichla Saxatilis? Is there aggression directed toward their own kind or are they like Exodons that cannot he kept with anything?

Festae Forever

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
How do you think they’d fare with Crenicichla Saxatilis? Is there aggression directed toward their own kind or are they like Exodons that cannot he kept with anything?
To be perfectly honest, I never got that far with them. As far as a species only aquaria I do remember male adults picking each other off. Perhaps they will do better being raised as young fish with one another? I have 3 Synodontis granulosus in the same aquarium. Something that would be a no-no for for just introduced adults. They struck me as a kind of fish that "might" be okay with other fish that don't share space at their swimming level, but don't know for sure. I will say that they are incredibly gorgeous animals and certainly worth working with. And as mentioned, I literally haven't seen them in 30+ years. The purple spangling in the poster's photo isn't just lighting. It's real.

Last edited:

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
To be perfectly honest, I never got that far with them. As far as a species only aquaria I do remember adults picking each other off in what was thought to be a large enough tank. Long term for my mentor's adults ended up going in 10 gallon tanks by themselves-that is on a system. They struck me as a kind of fish that "might" be okay with other fish that don't share space at their swimming level, but don't know for sure.
Thanks for the information. I decided to pass on them unfortunately. I kicked myself when Jeff sold out and I’m sure I’ll do it again but just don’t have the proper setup for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store