Rio Nanay with Altum?

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I will be upgrading my Rio Nanay angelfish to a 125 gallon tall aquarium. I currently have four and was wondering if I could add an Altum to the group. The Altum I am looking to get is currently housed at the seller's place with domestic angels. It seems happy with them but I figured I'd ask first, my other option is red shoulder but my preference is Altum. I don't want to get it and it's unhappy without others. It has been acclimated to Edmonton tap water

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I went ahead and added the Altum to the group, everything is going fairly well. Observations I got is that the Altum will spend time away from the others, only real aggression is feeding time and even then not that bad. I think in the long run I will setup a tank solely for the Altum and purchase more to have them in a group. I feel like the Altum is lonely despite not being on the bottom of the hierarchy. Us humans can have a hard time noticing differences between species but these angels definitely can tell.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Maybe add more Altums to that tank?

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I did however I did rehome the one to a friend. The ones in QT with the seller didn't work out, they wanted almost $250 per fish. I paid $90 for the original and definitely wasn't getting a divorce over it lol
If you decide to go with altums just buy a group of 6 juvies. I believe Texas aqua llc has some f1s in stock. Do an altum only tank with some tetras. You won’t be disappointed once they get to jumbo adult size

Reactions: Mazan

Mazan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2022
Here I can get 10cm altums for $30 each. Still works out quite expensive for a group though. Thinking about it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store