"Rio Nexapa" Istlanum Update

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Neat looking fish. The male kind of looks like what I would imagine getting from breeding a green terror with a jack Dempsey while the female makes me think of what ya could get by breeding a salvini with a red devil. Very cool looking fish, might have to get some for myself some day. They have a common name by chance?

Reactions: Black Tuna

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Neat looking fish. The male kind of looks like what I would imagine getting from breeding a green terror with a jack Dempsey while the female makes me think of what ya could get by breeding a salvini with a red devil. Very cool looking fish, might have to get some for myself some day. They have a common name by chance?
Genetics show they are originally a hybridization between amphilophus trimaculatum and Cichlasoma beani which happened at least 50k years ago. Over that time they have stabilized and become a defined species in there own rite.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Genetics show they are originally a hybridization between amphilophus trimaculatum and Cichlasoma beani which happened at least 50k years ago. Over that time they have stabilized and become a defined species in there own rite.
Yeah I can kind of see that being the case. Neat how that all works tho. Lol kind of makes me laugh at those ppl that say hybridization is "unnatural". Kind of wondering if the same thing ain't happening with all these green sunfish x pumpkin seed hybrids I've been catching lately while fishing. They were almost non-existent last year and now this year they are all over that lil pond. Been thinking of setting up a small pond so I can breed em and sell em. They are a very nice looking hybrid fish and get some amazing colors.

Reactions: neutrino

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Yeah I can kind of see that being the case. Neat how that all works tho. Lol kind of makes me laugh at those ppl that say hybridization is "unnatural". Kind of wondering if the same thing ain't happening with all these green sunfish x pumpkin seed hybrids I've been catching lately while fishing. They were almost non-existent last year and now this year they are all over that lil pond. Been thinking of setting up a small pond so I can breed em and sell em. They are a very nice looking hybrid fish and get some amazing colors.
I would love to get my hands on some of those for my pond if you ever did that!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store