HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

Tile stores sell river rocks glued on a plastic mesh for use in showers etc. Obviously, when those sheets are installed, the gaps are filled with cement/grout.

I was thinking about using those sheets of rocks as “substrate” and simply sprinkling enough sand in there to cover the gaps between the rocks.

Has anyone done that? Any concerns?

Thx
HarleyK

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not seen it done. Sounds like a good idea. Only concern would be if the glue used for the stones are aquarium/ fish safe, non-toxic.

Reactions: RD. and deeda

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I've seen videos of people using silicone to fix rocks to rigid plastic sheets to make structure, I believe corrugated plastic? Glue on big rocks, then liberally apply silicone before dusting with fine rocks. It looks real nice in the end.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Not seen it done. Sounds like a good idea. Only concern would be if the glue used for the stones are aquarium/ fish safe, non-toxic.
I doubt that these would be considered food safe, and over time they may leach toxins into ones tank. I would pass on the idea unless a company can demonstrate that both the mesh and the tiles they have used are inert/ non-toxic.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store