RO system

Jpqintx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2019
So after 2 weeks of starving my fish and doing 50% water changes every 3 days I still have cloudy water. I do not have any ammonia or nitrates. My last resort is to go with a R O system. Thinking a 3 stage? Looking for suggestions on what brands are good and bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So after 2 weeks of starving my fish and doing 50% water changes every 3 days I still have cloudy water. I do not have any ammonia or nitrates. My last resort is to go with a R O system. Thinking a 3 stage? Looking for suggestions on what brands are good and bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don't think the R/O system is the solution sounds like you are possibly having bacteria blooms and your aquarium isn't cycled hence the no nitrate.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Don't think the R/O system is the solution sounds like you are possibly having bacteria blooms and your aquarium isn't cycled hence the no nitrate.

If you haven't fed your fish and doing 50% water changes every 3 days bio bacteria will not get enough food from waste. Bio Bacteria needs ammonia to feed off from. Are you using a dechlorinator during water changes?

Jpqintx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2019
Yes. The tank has been up since July. I had 2 large canister filters on it. Took one off to start another tank and replaced it with a new one. Week later it crashed?. Now I’m struggling to get it back.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes. The tank has been up since July. I had 2 large canister filters on it. Took one off to start another tank and replaced it with a new one. Week later it crashed?. Now I’m struggling to get it back.

I never used bacteria in a bottle but members have used Seachem Stability with success.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Agree with tlindsey tlindsey your experiencing a cycle. It’s good you don’t have ammonia just keep on top of your parameters and add stability

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with the others, RO is not a solution to cloudy water.
I sounds like a bacterial bloom as the tank returns from the crash.
Bacteria are too small for any filter to capture, you need to have patience as the boom will disappear on its own when the tanks returns to equilibrium. It can take weeks, and the more you tinker, the longer it may take.

Reactions: Canoeist

Jpqintx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2019
Agree with the others, RO is not a solution to cloudy water.
I sounds like a bacterial bloom as the tank returns from the crash.
Bacteria are too small for any filter to capture, you need to have patience as the boom will disappear on its own when the tanks returns to equilibrium. It can take weeks, and the more you tinker, the longer it may take.
Thanks for the heads up??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store