Rocks causing my fish stress

Danmclucas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2022
D2577FD3-0504-4ED6-BF82-D457B7904DE7.jpeg
i recently made this using lock it superglue and rocks from Homebase. I tested them using vinegar then glued together. My fish seemed stressed all day and I thought it might be because of the change in habitat. Then tested the water and ph was a lot lower than my tap. Can anyone help me. This took ages and would be a shame to stop using it Unless it is causing harm.

2D693B6A-11C1-4AB5-AB8A-0DB92CF9FCC0.jpeg

Attachments

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The rocks look just fine to me for fish tank use as well as the Loctite super glue is just fine. What is the plastic you have used to hold the rocks?

Can you provide more details on your tank set up, how long has it been running and what are the normal pH test results compared to the one after you added the rocks?

Danmclucas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2022
The rocks look just fine to me for fish tank use as well as the Loctite super glue is just fine. What is the plastic you have used to hold the rocks?

Can you provide more details on your tank set up, how long has it been running and what are the normal pH test results compared to the one after you added the rocks?
The plastic did not go in the tank as it was just a base to build it on. I used vinegar and nitrite api master solution to test the rocks which are acidic? But I’m not sure if it’s possible for that to change the tank from a ph of 7 to 6 so quickly. All the other tests were perfect when checking parameters.

Danmclucas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2022
It has been running for a year and a half with a Cuban and midas and two featherfin catfish. I am looking at the tank now and all of the fish have stopped hiding and looking stressed. Could they just be scared of the new structure ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe just getting used to it. Cichlids probably trying to figure out how to move it all and can’t. Waiting period If the water is good maybe needed.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Over the last few days to a week I have done a number of large water changes and lost quite a number of fish. More likely the tap water than the rocks.

Danmclucas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2022
Maybe just getting used to it. Cichlids probably trying to figure out how to move it all and can’t. Waiting period If the water is good maybe needed.
That’s what I am thinking now. I took it out and the fish are just swimming where it was before.

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
It is not so easy to drop pH by one full point quickly without actually adding acid to a tank. I know I have done this intentionally in my altum angel tank on several occasions.

That leaves only two potential explanations:
1. You messed up the test somehow and the pH is actually higher.
2. Something else got into the tank water that can lower pH.

To drop the pH one must lower the KH or else add enough acid to overcome it.

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store