Rocks from outside for daffodil cichlids?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Today is a good day, got my first ever tank of African cichlids
It's a small group of 5 juvenile daffodils
I don't really have much decor in there, and I was wondering if it'd be safe to pull in some rocks from outside for these guys.
I only plan on keeping two once they pair off.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Outside rocks should be fine as long as they weren't exposed to pesticides, fertilizers or other types of contaminants.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Place some vinegar on the rocks. If it fizzes then those rocks can increase ur ph and Gh but since u have African cichlids it’s not a big problem. Since they require higher ph’s. But I’m not a expert on those cichlids. Ask duanes duanes and Gourami Swami Gourami Swami for their opinions.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
As mentioned, as long as they haven't come in contact with any poisons you should be ok. My old rocks can from under a bridge at a local river, I kept them until I changed to universal rocks to match my 3d background.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I usually use rocks from outside that I find in my tanks, better than paying a bunch of money for rocks. Just have to scrub them good, and I try to pick rocks which look simple, grey, inert, like slate. Not too many metallic looking flecks. This might just be my superstition. Some rocks will alter pH and possibly gh, if you have a lot of that kind of rock in the tank. Limestone is an example. For daffodils, high pH is what you want anyway, like kno4te kno4te mentioned.
these rocks were all from the yard
mbunafts.JPG

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Just found out home depot has chunks of granite, would these granite cobble stones work? I guess they'd be easier to stack in order to make crevices for the fish and all

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Granite is safe for aquarium use and shouldn’t affect ur tank parameters.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
alright then, thanks everyone for the help

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Just found out home depot has chunks of granite, would these granite cobble stones work? I guess they'd be easier to stack in order to make crevices for the fish and all
Don't do those paver rocks. Looks very unnatural but that's of course personal preference. Just stack natural rocks. Put a few bigger ones on the bottom and place smaller on top. Make sure the bottom rocks are all the way to the bottom of the tank and not just on top of the gravel and sand. Cichlids will dig and could destabilize them.

Reactions: deeda

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Pavers could work in like a theme tank if you wanted the scene displayed to be a wall or something temple ruin-ey

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store