rocks in aquarium

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
Is it safe to put rocks I found outside in my aquarium. Is there a special way to clean them before I put them in?

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
yup
same here
most the rocks i have came from peoples gardens

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
DeLgAdO said:
I wash my rocks to get the dirt of then i boil them for about 2 hours.
I do the same but for only 30 minutes or so, when they cool I wash them again in clean water. I watch for color leaching and surface softening. Avoid sedimentary rocks, and metal ores like galena, also avoid beach rocks unless you soak them in several changes of water after cleaning them as all of these can add bad things to your tank. Garden rocks sometimes carry pesticide residue so wash them well. I like to add semiprecicious stones like sunstone, topaz, tigereyes, chrysophase, and amythest crystals to my tank because I like the way they show up on the dark sand/gravel, but that is just me and cyrstal bundles should be avoided with soft skinned fish, they can scratch themselves.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
I do the same but for only 30 minutes or so, when they cool I wash them again in clean water. I watch for color leaching and surface softening. Avoid sedimentary rocks, and metal ores like galena, also avoid beach rocks unless you soak them in several changes of water after cleaning them as all of these can add bad things to your tank. Garden rocks sometimes carry pesticide residue so wash them well. I like to add semiprecicious stones like sunstone, topaz, tigereyes, chrysophase, and amythest crystals to my tank because I like the way they show up on the dark sand/gravel, but that is just me and cyrstal bundles should be avoided with soft skinned fish, they can scratch themselves.

Well said Guppy :thumbsup:

AROFREEK2K5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
yeah just wash them another solution is to just soak them in a buck for and hour or 2

aquadad

Feeder Fish
Jul 28, 2005
Texas
I Scrub mine with water and a good stiff brush,then bleach them over night rinse and bring them to a boil,then take them out and use them as soon as the bleach smell is gone ,so far that has been when they are dry.Been told to poor a little muratic acid on the rocks i find if it fizzes if it does dont use it possibly will leach out stuff and kill fish. Thats how I do it also rocks are cheap at places that sell rock for building or landscaping.

ps I also take a spray bottle full of water to see how a rock looks under water!

Wm R Kerby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store