Rope fish acting strange

Shukenukem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2019
Burlington, ON
Hey guys and gals, had a quick question for anyone with knowledge. I have 3 ropefish who are typically very active day and night. The last few days one of them started hanging around the top of the tank near the intake tube and heater. As of tonight all three of them are up there. I did a water test moments ago and my parameters are PH 7 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrates are high at about 40 ppm. The tank is stocked with the 3 ropes, 3 Angles, 6 Skirted Tetras, 4 glass catfish, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Black ghost knife, 2 African Dwarf frogs, and 4 Rabbit Snails. I have a fluval FX4 do regular maintenance and water changes and also have a aerator. The tank is 120 gal and is not planted. Any and all help is appriciated thank you.

20200911_233305.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Having trouble coming down? Like it’s moving down but floats back up? If so then I’d try and move the fish to a qt tank. Dose some Epsom salt 3 tbsp per 5g and add some kanamycin or maracyn2.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Shukenukem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2019
Burlington, ON
Having trouble coming down? Like it’s moving down but floats back up? If so then I’d try and move the fish to a qt tank. Dose some Epsom salt 3 tbsp per 5g and add some kanamycin or maracyn2.
They have no problem swimming to the bottom to eat and hang out for a while the one just always ends up in that corner and the other 2 follow. They have lots of hiding spots and the temperature is at 79 degrees so I can't see them hanging around the heater to stay warm.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They have no problem swimming to the bottom to eat and hang out for a while the one just always ends up in that corner and the other 2 follow. They have lots of hiding spots and the temperature is at 79 degrees so I can't see them hanging around the heater to stay warm.
Then just watch and hopefully just active ropes.

Reactions: Shukenukem

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
My ropefish does this a lot, he sort of swims all around the top of the tank for a while in a frenzy, sometimes he just starts sleeping in mid-water, and then proceeds to spend the rest of the day being lazy. It is really fun to watch, a really quirky fish. So I say there is isn't too much to worry about since your parameters look fine.

Reactions: Shukenukem

Shukenukem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2019
Burlington, ON
My ropefish does this a lot, he sort of swims all around the top of the tank for a while in a frenzy, sometimes he just starts sleeping in mid-water, and then proceeds to spend the rest of the day being lazy. It is really fun to watch, a really quirky fish. So I say there is isn't too much to worry about since your parameters look fine.
Thanks for the reply yeah I have had them for years and they have just never done this before so I was a little worried. Thanks again:)

Reactions: Justepic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store